33

"If someone makes you feel, let them." -Reyna Biddy

    The slow car ride back to Harry's house was quiet. I didn't speak, he didn't speak. The only thing heard between us was the faint radio playing in the background. And it wasn't even a good song.

    I couldn't help myself when my eyes drifted to Harry's side profile. He just had the face of an angel. Perfect features, soft curls, beautiful eyes and lips. Everything about him was the physical quality of a perfect human.

    Upon examining his every feature, I noticed his expression. He had a slight frown molded to his luscious lips, and bags under his soft eyes. He was tired, and worn out.

    I couldn't blame him though, I was too. He's had a hard 48 hours. Watching his friend die in front of his eyes, going to her funeral the next day, and being approached by his rival business.

    If anyone deserved a trip to Venice, it would be him. I don't know how much his life as head of Alea impacts him and his time, but what I do know is what I see. And what I see is exhaustion.

    When he pulled into the garage, we both got out silently and parted ways once we got inside. I made my way up to my bedroom while he stayed downstairs and walked towards the kitchen.

    I didn't question why he wasn't going to bed after such a long day. Honestly, I was just going upstairs to change and then steal some of his alcohol in the kitchen. I mean, I think I could use a nice black out tonight.

    I entered the bright white room that was illuminated by the sunset. It was orange with a pinkish gradient along the wall and bed spread. I smiled, looking outside of the window. It's hard to see a nice sunset these days.

    I changed out of my funeral clothing and into sweats and a sports bra. I threw my hair up in a messy ponytail and left my room to go downstairs.

Once I was in the kitchen, I went to the cabinet beside the fridge and opened the top one. Inside was a glass bottle of whiskey and two glass cups sitting on the dusty shelf.

I took the whiskey and a glass cup and turned around. I placed the items on the counter and took the cork on top of the whiskey bottle off and set it to the side. I poured a little less than half a glass before putting the cork back in and grabbing the cup.

    The first sip tasted like candy, the sweetest thing in the world. I didn't even mind any burn or sour taste, it was just that good. The second reminded me that it was in fact drinking whiskey and not candy.

    I gripped the side of the counter with one hand while holding onto my cup with the other, and looked outside. The sun was still setting as it was now just barely above the horizon.

    It outlined everything in the backyard. The trees, the fence, the jacuzzi, the person in the jacuzzi. Wait, there's a person in the jacuzzi.

    I kept my cup in my hand as I jogged over to the window to get a better look at the small pool under the gazebo. Sitting in the water shirtless was Harry, his head back exposing his throat.

    He was holding a cup identical to the one I was holding as water bubbled around him. The lights lining the gazebo were on, illuminating his features again to get me a better view.

    My first question was, why the hell is he in a jacuzzi? But the second was how did he get out there? My question was quickly answered when I saw a sliding glass door open and steps leading down to the concrete.

    My investigation needs got the best of me and before I knew it, I was closing the sliding glass door behind me and walking down the brown concrete stairs. It was smooth under my cold bare feet.