72

"DNA doesn't make a family." -Katrina Pierce

-

The smell of coffee brought zero peace to me as anxiety began to take over my body. My leg started to bounce faster than I could count the amount of times I picked at my cuticles.

It's half an hour past the time Natalie was supposed to meet me. I know what she's doing, she's seeing if I was genuine about wanting to meet. I would do it too. But I wouldn't wait half an hour to show up.

I had eaten the muffin I bought and now my hot coffee is colder than ice. My palms are sweaty and my leg won't stop bouncing. I've never been more nervous for anyone in my life.

My eyes were glued to the door as I itched for a cigarette. But I was not about to step outside and miss Natalie's entrance. I needed her to see me, to see how determined I am.

Today, I planned what outfit to wear. I'm wearing a pair of black skinny jeans with a black turtleneck tank top that stopped a few inches below my chest. My trench coat sat on the back of my chair as my heels hit against the floor.

Sadly, I don't own anymore of my old clothes. I don't have any sneakers, or baggy shirts. I'm assuming Leonardo found Harry's shirt I kept wearing to bed so I know that's gone forever.

I took a deep breath, focusing my attention on my nails. The remaining black nail polish from weeks ago was gone from my anxiety. My cuticles were red from me picking at them.

Suddenly, the bell of the door chimed and my head shot up. In walked the guest of honor, Natalie Levine. Natalie had an annoyed look on her face as she entered with a tote bag on her arm.

Natalie was wearing jean shorts with a crew neck and Birkenstocks. Her hair was down in a low ponytail as she held a phone in her hand and money in the other. She ordered a drink then scanned the room. Her eyes locked on mine and rolled, she hung up the phone while grabbing her quickly made drink and walking towards me.

She took a deep breath and stood beside me at the table. My breathing had slowed and relaxation spread through my bones. She was here, there was no need to be nervous anymore.

Natalie set her bag on the back of her chair and sat down with her drink. She pulled her sleeves over her palms and sipped her hot coffee. Her nails were long and pink with a few rings cluttering her fingers.

"I'm here. What do you want?" Natalie was first to speak as she put her cup down and refused to make eye contact.

"Thank you for coming." I grinned, more towards myself for keeping my faith strong.

"I only came to find out where the hell you're keeping Harry." Natalie rolled her eyes again.

"I want to explain everything to you first. Then, I'll tell you where Harry is." I sighed and traced the rim of my cup.
She stayed silent and kept her eyes on her coffee.

"I didn't leave, well not permanently. I joined Leonardo and the Suckers so I could get intel. The only way we can take them down is to hurt them from the inside. Xavier helped me look the part and of course, Leonardo let me in." I began.

"Eliza has helped me get on well with Leonardo. I went to see her before I left and she and I decided it was best if we don't tell any of you guys about me. I needed to be a traitor. And, it had to be as believable as possible. And, sadly, that meant hurting all of you."

"And I hate it. I lay awake every night thinking about how much I've hurt all of you, especially you Nat. You're my best friend. I should have told you." I frowned and stared down at my hands.