57

"Everything I've ever let go of has claw marks on it." -David Foster Wallace

-

Kennedy's POV

-

"School?" Natalie questioned while rushing after me. I pushed the front door open, leaving Louis and Niall in my trail.

"An old professor I had was good friends with my dad." I ran down the stairs while removing my sweatshirt to show my leather jacket and dress from the day prior.

"What does an old professor have to do with any of this? Why are we going back to school?" Natalie asked frantically.

I stopped in my tracks and turned around once we hit the fresh morning air of Nevada. Natalie bumped into me and quickly gained her balance. I placed my hands on my hips and glanced towards her car.

"I'm done, Natalie. Leonardo has declared war on us, and I'm going to give him a fight. So where the fuck do you keep your guns." I stomped towards her car and walked around to her trunk.

"You're talking crazy Kennedy." Natalie rushed after me, clutching her keys hard in her hand.

"Oh come on Natalie, let's not pretend you don't carry guns and knives in your car. And my gun is empty." I pulled out the gun still sitting in my pocket and placed it on the trunk of her car.

"Kennedy! Put it away!" Natalie quickly took the weapon and hid it under her arm as if it was actually shielding it.

I reached over and grabbed the keys from her hand. She tried to get it back but I held it high in the air. I pressed the trunk button and watched as it slowly lifted. And to much of no one's surprise, a duffle bag was sitting in the center of the trunk.

"You're talking crazy Kennedy." I mimicked while tossing her the keys and opening the duffle bag.

In it were a few different types of guns, all labeled with a dice on the bottom. I took the first one I saw and stuffed it in my jacket. I threw the sweatshirt in the trunk and slammed it shut.

"I'm driving." I took the keys from her hands again and walked to the driver's side door.

"What happened to you in New York?" Natalie questioned while slowly walking to the other side of the car.

I didn't look at her, I couldn't. I knew what I'd see. Disappointment. She didn't like this side of me. The side that my father created. The hunter, the predator, the murderer. But she shouldn't be disappointed, because I'm not. This side of me is the only way we're going to take down the Suckers.

We both climbed into the car, some less willingly than others. As soon as both our doors were closed and seat belts were on, I slammed on the pedal. I watched Natalie hold onto her dash board as we went zero to fifty in seconds.

That's why I love her car.

"Kennedy slow down!" Natalie nudged me shoulder as I slammed harder on the pedal.

"Sorry Nat, I can't. I have to get this done before I'm wanted for a Suckers murder." I blinked, remembering Robert.

I don't think he ever made it back to Las Vegas

"What?" Natalie's voice softened.

I ignored her sudden sad tone and turned eagerly down a long road. It was a direct road to my old college, to where I had to meet my friend. Thomas Jack. Or professor Thomas.