56

a/n: ...hey best friends

-

"Tell them I was the warmest place you knew and you turned me cold." -Unknown

-

An oversized sweatshirt from the hospital engulfed my body as I walked down the empty street of the city. The only source of light came from the busy buildings in the middle of the night.

The breeze brushed against my lips as my hair tangled together. I felt emptier, somehow. I didn't think I could feel any worse, but I did. Especially since I was now hundreds of miles away from Harry.

I left as soon as the nurse told me he was in surgery. I got a car, drove to the airport three hours away, and left on the plane. Las Vegas seems different right now. I felt alone.

I lifted my eyes from the dirty sidewalk, sighing as the phone booth I've been searching for came into view. I've been walking ever since I left the airport, trying to fine a stupid phone booth.

I quicked my pace until I reached it, feeling even sadder as I got closer. I entered the phone booth and closed the door behind me and turned towards the phone.

I pushed in the 10 cents I found on the ground and dialed the number that was glued in my brain. I held the phone to my ear and leaned my head against the glass of the warm booth. It rang a few times, until she picked up.

"Hello?" My mothers groggy morning voice spoke from the opposite line. This was her home phone so at least I knew she was home.

"Mom?" I said quietly through the phone, feeling a sudden burst of tears trying to push out my eyes.

"Kennedy?" My mother's voice grew awake. I could hear shuffling, she probably sat up in bed.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Kennedy, where are you? Please tell me you're not in New York. Because Leonardo's on his way an-"

"I'm not in New York. I'm safe." I whispered, looking around at my surroundings. All I knew was that Alea was two blocks away.

"Kennedy, I'm so sorry. I wish I could help you. I didn't mean for any of this to happen to you. You never should have even been exposed to this world." She sounded genuine while she rambled.

"Are you okay? Are you still in the hospital?" I asked quickly, ignoring her useless apology.

"If you're talking about where you shot me, I'm fine. It merely grazed my shoulder. I just got stitches and was on my way." She chuckled.

I glanced towards my shoulder. I forgot that a bullet had grazed it. I guess it wasn't severe since it stopped bleeding a while ago. That feels like ages ago compared to now.

"Do me a favor mom? Try to stay away from the Suckers for a while. I don't want you getting caught in the crossfire anymore. Go to you and dad's old vacation home." I sniffled away the incoming tears.

"Not unless you come with me baby." She mumbled.

Immediately, the tears broke through the barrier. Tears rolled down my face slowly as her words hit me like a ton of bricks. If only she knew how much shit my existence has created.

"Just please go. I'll meet you there." I lied.

"Do you promise?" She asked with a slight quiver in her voice.

I bit down on my lip and sniffled, "Yeah, I promise. I love you mom." I glanced up at the top of the phone booth.

"I'm expecting you baby. I love you." She kissed the phone speaker.