74

"You're the pulse that gives my heart the power to feel." -perry poetry

-

Harry's POV

-

Slowly and naturally, my body woke up to the warmth of the September sun beaming against my exposed chest. I steadied my breathing and kept my eyes closed, welcoming the cuddly warmth against my skin.

I moved my hand slightly, instantly realizing where it was and who was beside me. Slowly opening my eyes, I glanced down. Cuddled against my body, adding to the warmth of the sun was Kennedy. She breathed slowly in and out as she attached herself to me.

Her head laid softly against my chest, her hair slightly tickling the hair on my chest. I grinned down at her as her hand laid beside her head, lying lifelessly. I placed my hand gently on her back and leaned my head back against my pillows.

This didn't feel weird like it should be. I enjoyed this. Her laying on me, soaking me in, latching onto me like I was a safety blanket. Any other girl I would have pushed her off the bed and kicked her out of the house.

I ran my free hand through my bed head and stared at my ceiling, allowing the mix of the sun and Kennedy's body warmth to act like a blanket on my body. She took all of the blanket last night, but I didn't mind.

My mind danced me back to last night and what had happened to her. I held back every fiber of my being to not run and kill the son of a bitches who hurt her. To go strangle Leonardo by his neck and watch him turn purple.

She looked so broken. It brought me back to when she was kidnapped by Leonardo. How hurt she was. I had never seen someone so weakened and torn apart. I realized last night that that was the night she changed. She was no longer Kennedy from college or her childhood, she was who she is now.

I didn't know her before that change. I had only ever seen her on paper. I didn't know how her brain works, not like I do now. And the only reason I know how is because mine works the same way.

I looked down at her again and grinned. I pushed a piece of hair from out of her face and gently tucked it behind her ear. She moved slightly but stayed asleep and attached to my body.

I couldn't get up, even if I wanted to

She looked so different while sleeping. Her brain was turned off and all the trauma that runs through her brain 24/7 was turned off. She was at peace. She reminded me of the Kennedy I knew before she was binded to Alea.

Lately, I've been thinking back on that night. How it changed our lives. I used to get annoyed at how much she smiled. Now I miss it. I miss seeing her perfect teeth on display all the time. I miss seeing the joy and excitement in her eyes.

It's gone now

I worry that I'll never see that smile again. The one that lit up a room. The smile that I envied. The smile that was so contagious that sometimes I would catch myself smiling back.

All I see behind her eyes now is darkness and pain. She's not happy with herself and the life she's living. Leonardo hurts her, wears her down. As someone who went through that with their own father, I know what abuse looks like. She is the last person on earth who deserves to go through that.

I stared down at the beautiful girl beside me and allowed a smile to spread across my face. Sometimes it's hard to hide my smile around her, especially when she would smile. She makes me feel all warm inside which usually makes me want to vomit.