39

TW: Abuse

"All this pain, it will teach you everything worth knowing." -ά

-

Harry's POV

-

December 24th, 2008

London, United Kingdom

"I'll be home for Christmas. You can plan on me. Please have snow, and mistletoe. And presents, bye the tree."

I watched as the slow snowfall stuck to the dry grass of my front lawn. White filled my eyes as it fluttered down from the sky, making clumps of ice on the ground. It was a beautiful sight, a white Christmas.

I pressed my forehead to the big window, smiling at the cold feeling on my skin. I felt my feet dangle off of the side of the couch as I tried to get the best view of the pretty weather.

"Harry!" Mum called from somewhere in the house. Immediately I dispatched myself from the window and sat down.

"Coming mummy!" I shouted back, flattening out my emerald green overalls and hopping to the floor.

I ran down the long hallway, bypassing the expensive paintings hanging on the white walls. I felt the carpet below me as I turned into my kitchen, smiling as my mum was swaying to the Christmas music playing in the background.

"Christmas eve will find me. Where the love lights gleam."

"Harry, baby. Can you get mommy that spoon please." My mother turned around and flashed me her big green eyes and huge smile.

"Yes mum." I sprinted over to the kitchen table, grabbing the big black spoon she pointed too, and ran back over to her.

"Thank you baby." My mother smiled while taking the spoon from my hand. I smiled in return.

"Anything for you mum." I climbed up onto one of our white barstools sitting at the island.

"Are you just saying that because Santa's coming tonight?" My mother questioned in her American accent.

"Maybe." I bit down on my bottom lip and looked away from her. Mum chuckled while stirring a gray bowl.

"Well, keep it up because I'm pretty sure you're on the nice list." My mother continued to sway to the silent music in her red and green Christmas apron
I smiled, watching her happy. Mum wasn't happy very often, only when dad wasn't around. She always had a smile when it was just the two of us, but when dad came. She frowned.

"Hey mum." I noticed my mood change thinking about my mum not being happy. My mum turned around with her enlightening smile.

"Yes baby?" My mother walked around the counter and set the bowl down beside me, still stirring.

"Is dad going to be home tonight?" I crossed my ankles under the counter and looked down at my lap.

Mum sighed and placed a hand on my back.

"He's busy with work, but hopefully he'll be here for presents in the morning." Mum kissed my temple and walked away.

"I just want to see you smile all night tonight. That's all." I shrugged my shoulders and looked up to mum.

Mum's smile slightly faded, her eyes slightly watered. She looked at me in sadness, as if I said something wrong. Did I say something wrong? Was I just like dad? Oh no, I don't want to be like dad.