Prologue I

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." -Chuck Palahniuk

-

Two Years Later

-

Kennedy's POV

-

"Please.." The man before me whispered through his constraints. I smiled as I picked up a knife from my layout of torture devices
I placed the knife in the palm of my hand, admiring its shine and size. I moved it up my hand to clutch the base and brought it up to my lips. I pressed the knife to my lips and shushed the man.

"Begging will only make it worse." I sighed, licking the blade of the knife and twirling it.

I slowly walked towards the shaking hostage, the sound of my stilettos echoing the room. Tears poured from his eyes as I smirked at him in his exposed state.

Blood was running from his chest as his bare stomach was exposed to the room. His mouth was tied with cloth and his neck was constrained by a chain. I took a deep breath and touched the tip of the knife to his forehead.

"Please Ms. Monroe." The man continued to beg.

"I'm not going to kill you." I kneeled down to make eye contact, twirling the knife hard into his forehead so blood dripped. He whined into the cloth.

"But he is, Niall!" I stood up and turned towards the door. I smiled as Niall opened the door and met me beside the man.

"Finish him." I handed him the knife and waved the man goodbye.

"With pleasure." Niall smirked.

I walked straight out the door and shut it behind me, cutting off the deadly screams of the man. I glanced down at my arm, crossing another name off of my list of the remaining suckers.

"Three more." I smiled before walking down the hallway towards the exit.

I listened to the clicks of my heels as my legs pulled against my tight dress. I could feel excitement brewing in my blood at the thought of my past life finally being erased from my now.

I walked down the long hallway, the dark ceiling lights illuminating the walls. When I reached the exit, I tapped in the code and was granted permission to leave. I quickly left the building, exiting into a dark alleyway.

The busy streets of New York City could be heard as I emerged onto the street. People pass with zero disregard for me. The look of annoyance on everyone's face always reminded me of home.

I joined the commuters, walking at the same pace past all the buildings. It was early December as I held my arms. It was nearly dinner time and I just now remembered the forecast was calling for snow flurries.

I walked several blocks until I got onto my street. Quickly, I jogged to my building and hurried inside, winking towards my doorman who knew me onsite. Once inside, I shivered myself to warmth and smiled at the front desk personnel.

"Ms. Monroe." Said Violet, my favorite receptionist out of all of them.

"Hello Violet." I smiled at her.

"You've uh, have you been bleeding?" Violet's face went wide.

Quickly I whipped out my phone. There were small blood splatters on my cheek. I covered my cheek and winked towards Violet, mouthing a thank you and going into the elevator.