No.9

//Still Riptide ;')

Also I just wanna say how much more stressful it is for me to title the chapters the way I do rather than get over the anxiety of posting what I write? I feel like I'm crazy every single time or that I've missed a number ;_;

There shouldn't be any spoilers for this! just a small lil thing with my fish child and adventures with pronouns? i saw on Tumblr (because tumblr has pretty good writing prompts on there too :D If I do ever use a prompt or an idea I will give credit!) that apparently tritons as a species in DnD have no real concept of gender? and it can be a v fluid thing for them? i saw the post a while ago so I don't know if i'm too accurate with that? But I still wanted to write about it!
This was also just a way for me to get to use they/them pronouns for a comfort character and i may be projecting a tiiiny bit but shhh it's fineee
Also I just wanna say that I'm totally down for taking requests! Any kind of prompt or scenario you think of I'll be happy to write, and of course give credit by tagging you! :P this can be a private message or in the comments!
a small warning (I'm not sure if it's a TW..!) A bit of angst? because I'm me ;') basically prophecy doesn't allow changes of any kind for Gill? But when reading in context hopefully it's not as angsty as it could've been? If it's a TW please tell me so I can put it in as one..! I personally didn't feel like it would've been, but just to be safe for everyone..!
TW// i don't think there's any? if there are, please tell me so I can add it to the TW// list! <3
---

Gillion wasn't sure how the three of them had gotten to this conversation, but they'd done it. It was quite confusing, so he had pinned it down to this being an "oversea thing" like he'd normally assume. However, it seems much more complicated...
"Gillion, for the love of the Gods. Just- I...You're killin' me, man. Please. Just- what are your pronouns?!" Chip had asked the same question now three times, which Gillion was sure he read to be a symptom of insanity. He had, of course, expressed this already to his friend, which only seemed to upset him more.
"Chip, you know I would never kill you. Or even think of it...I am hurt that you would say this over a simple misunderstanding..." He frowned slightly, more so when Chip seemed to groan in frustration and look over at Jay for some kind of support. She of course stepped in, not before chuckling and spoke,
"Okay, okay. Chip, calm down. Maybe he just...doesn't know what they are. He isn't from here, and hasn't been up here for that long...He's still figuring things out..!" She then turned to Gillion and smiled softly, "Gill? Do you know what the fuck Chip is talking about? Or are you confused on what pronouns are?"
Gillion thought for a second, trying to think of if he had heard of "pronouns" before, then shaking his head 'no'. Chip just let out a tired sigh, most likely already feeling the "I told you so" look that Jay had on her face.

"Okay...whatever. Gill. Pronouns are...what we can use to refer to you by without using your name-"
"You may also call me 'Champion of the Deep' if you do not want to use my name..! Is that a pronouns?!" Gillion seemed to sit up, excited at the idea he had understood, finally, what Chip meant. Chip almost wanted to lie and agree, finding it hard to tell Gill that the title wasn't what he meant.
"Ye-...I can't lie. Okay, no. But close! Kind of? You've got the spirit...Pronouns are...like she/her. Y'know? So if I saw Jay and I was talking to you about it, I'd say something like...'Oh I saw Jay. She was here five minutes ago, her hair looked like shit as normal'. That kind of GAH-" Chip was interrupted by Jay kicking him off of the barrel that he was sat on, as were herself and Gillion. Chip groaned as he stayed there for a second on the floor, sighing defeatedly. "Yeah...okay, I deserved that. But it was funny-"
"Do not worry, Jay. I think your hair is very pretty. As it is always..!" Gillion smiled softly at Jay, she returned the smile.
"Awh- thanks Gill. You are officially my favourite. Chip? You're a bastard and I hate you." Before Chip was able to reply, Jay continued. "Anyways! Ignoring the last part of Chip's explanation, he was right. You can have she/her pronouns...he/him. Those are the ones we've been using for you since...well you seem to be comfortable with them. But Chip and I thought that you might be comfortable with options if you were given them..!"

A few minutes of explanations went by, Gillion had to have a few things repeated for him to fully understand, but he supposed everything made sense.
"So...I swear this is the last time I'm gonna ask; what are your pronouns?" Chip seemed to hold his breath in anticipation as he watched Gillion ponder.
"Well...in the undersea we have never really...needed solid pronouns...gender and such is quite fluid for my kind...but if it helps in terms of referring to me without the use of my name or title...I suppose I am fine with he/him and they/them.." Gillion nodded softly, smiling up at the two. Chip let put his held breath, sighing in relief that Gillion had finally understood the question.
"Thank gods. Okay! So you would say that you go by he/they or they/he...!" Chip smiled when Gillion nodded, more so at the first option. "Got it. He/they...Cool! Gods, I did NOT think I would've sat here for a good two hours just for that answer. I will never be polite again-" Jay chuckled, rolling her eyes and nudging Chip.
"Hey Gill, you said that gender is like...fluid for you? What do you mean..?"
"Ah...well...Our names, for instance; we do not always keep our birth names for our whole lives. Our genders may shift throughout life...although a triton in my...'special' situation in terms of being a part of this prophecy...I am not able to do so. Gillion was the name I was given at birth and it shall continue to be my name...It is the name of the 'Chosen One'..." He slowly nodded, no longer meeting the other two, his eyes set on the wooden deck of the ship, a smile still showing on Gillion's features, but it being much sadder than before when speaking of his past.

Both Chip and Jay shared a worried expression. Chip went to speak but was stopped by Jay shaking her head. He decided she was right, the both of them didn't know nearly enough to give any advice or words of comfort. Gillion, despite being excitable and loud at times, never shared too much of his past in the undersea. Let alone being this 'Champion of the Deep'. They had both just assumed that the responsibility had been placed upon him and they just went with it. It never occurred to either of them that he would be unhappy or feel as out of control as they had just confessed to feeling. Gillion must've noticed that he had said a lot, as they looked up and saw Chip and Jay sitting in silence looking at him worriedly. They quickly put on a bigger smile, shaking his head and clearing their throat.
"B-But it is okay! I apologise for rambling so much. B-But yes, Jay, gender to my species is very fluid...of course the journey is different for everyone, some are comfortable with how they are to start with, others are...not." Gillion shrugged slightly, standing up and smiling more down at the two. "Chip..! You had mentioned earlier that someone had to clean the deck, I am more than happy to assist in that chore for you..! If you'll excuse me I-"

Gillion was stopped as they were pulled into a hug, as instinct, he shut his eyes, then opening them to see a smiling Jay in front of them, assuming the one who was hugging him was Chip. Gillion hugged back, unsure as to why they were hugging. "U-Uh...Chip..?"
"Shut up, man. Just..." Chip sighed and pulled away, his hands still on Gillion's shoulders. "We don't have to talk about it, but you can vent or anything like that if you need to, y'know? I don't know if you've noticed but uh... Jay and I? We get not wanting to open up too much about your past and family stuff..." Chip chuckled softly, nodding slowly. Gillion seemed to understand straight away, returning the smile, it being a much more genuine one this time.
"I appreciate that Chip, thank you. I will remember that for the future...Though I am sure I will not need to 'vent' any time soon, dear Chip. I am simply following destiny. There are of course moments in which I will struggle, but that is why you and Jay are so important to me, and why I am so happy that fate put you in my path..! I am very lucky to have such caring crewmates..." Gillion nodded, while talking he had taken Chip's hands and held them, then pushed his hands back to Chip's chest, letting them go as they then gave a single small smile and headed to get a mop. He had learned there was no real need for a bucket when he could simply shape water and clean that way.

While Gillion cleaned, he couldn't help but notice the two pairs of eyes that were burning into their back. But he ignored them. Gillion had meant what they said, he really did appreciate Jay and Chip being there for them. But he also meant what they had said about destiny and the prophecy. He had made a promise to be the Chosen One or the Champion of the Deep to the elders back home. They couldn't go back on that promise, even if he was so far away from home. Gillion had never really questioned his identity...not that they ever really had the freedom to back home. But now that he did, they still weren't sure. He was still glad that they were able to feel a bit of freedom with his new knowledge of pronouns, even if this was the first time they really had to think of how he felt about their current pronouns.... The fluidity felt calming and comforting, especially later on when he heard both Chip and Jay use them, so they were sure that these pronouns were right for him.

They made a mental note to thank the both of them again later on for the chance to learn about and finally get to experiment with pronouns.