David Nolan

Disclaimer: rights to ABC and Odette Beane.

We had to walk all the way back to Storybrooke's small hospital, and by the time we arrived, I noted, a number of new vehicles were parked out front. Emma looked disdainfully at Regina's Mercedes, then up to the ambulance parked atop the emergency stripes near the door.

Inside, a number of nurses, as well as Dr. Whale, stood around John Doe's bed, examining him. I noted another woman beside him, someone who did not look like a medical professional. She was blond, tall, regal-looking. On her face was caring concern. She spoke to John Doe slowly, like she was explaining something, and he looked at her. Just as we got to his bed, Regina saw us and came to intercept. "I'm not sure what you thine you're doing in this town, Nancy Drew," Regina said to Emma, "but I'm getting tired of the disruptions you've begun to cause." She glanced at me and said, "There seem to have been a whole lot more...conflicts in Storybrooke since you've been here, Ms. Swan. I don't think it's a coincidence." Maybe it's not," Emma replied, "maybe you're right." Regina glared back, trying to figure out what Emma might have meant. "Who is. . .that woman?" Mary Margaret asked faintly, ignoring this stare down, ignoring Regina's anger. She was instead looking at the blonde-haired woman beside John Doe, who was not stroking his hair as a excuse not to hold the blond's hand. "Her name is Kathryn. John Doe's wife," Regina said smugly, "and John Doe's name is David. David Nolan." "Is this them?" Kathryn asked, looking over, relieved smile still on her face. "Are you the people who found him? Thank you. Thank you so much." She left David's side and crossed the room. She took Mary Margaret's hands in her hands and said, "I don't know how to thank you." "I don't understand," I said, "how could you not have known he was here? Before?" A pall came over Kathryn's face; she slowly released Mary Margaret's hands and looked at the group. "We—we separated. A few years ago. It was under. . .terrible circumstances, a huge fight. And he stormed out and told me he was leaving town, moving to Boston, that the marriage was over. And all this time I've just assumed he was there, that he. . .moved on." She looked back at him; he was preoccupied with Dr. Whale. "All this time he's been right here," she concluded. "You never once tried to find him?" Emma said skeptically. She clearly didn't like the wonan's delivers and she clearly didn't like the smarmy look on Regina's face either. "Of course I did," said Kathryn, turning back, "but no one knew where he was. There's only so long you can search for someone who doesn't want to be found in the first place." She looked at Regina and smiled warmly. "But the mayor put the pieces together and called this evening. It's unbelievable. This is—it's like we're starting over. We get a second chance." "That's so lovely," Mary Margaret said, smiling at the woman. I doubted I was the only one in the room who could see through the false sentiment. Kathryn went back to David at the bed. "Come on Henry," Regina said, "time to go home." As he passed by Mary Margaret, Henry looked up at her. He did not try to lower his voice when he said, "Don't believe any of it. He woke up because of you. The story. True love. It's your destiny to be together." "Henry," Regina said. But Henry darted from the room. Regina, shaking her head, followed after him. "Excuse me," I said to her back. Regina turned. "A word before you go?" Regina sighed, nodded her consent. Regina and I left the room together, and Emma gave me a look like Want backup? I nodded my reply and she quickly followed us out of the room. Henry was already out in the parking lot when Regina stopped walking and we all faced each other. "Isn't love sweet?" Regina asked, "I'm so happy that such a tragic story had such a happy ending. That never happens." "None of this particular story makes any sense," I replied flatly, "let's not play games." "What is it you think then?" Regina asked, eyes alight, looking amused. "I'm using evil magic on the woman? Forcing her to lie?" "No, but I think, and I'm sure Emma does too, you're manufacturing something. I don't know why. But it stinks, whatever it is." "You do know, Ms. Jones," Regina said, "bad things happen. Even in small towns like Storybrooke." Emma cut in. "Storybrooke's just like everywhere else," she said, "full of good people, with a few rotten tomatoes thrown into the mix." "I'm surprised you're not happier to see two people reunited," said Regina, "there is no curse in the world worse than being alone. Am I right?" Regina smiled and looked over her shoulder at the parking lot. "I'm lucky to have Henry," she said, "it would be terrible to have no one at all." With that, Regina left.

I headed to Granny's for the night, and Emma said something about going to Mary Margaret's and asking to take up her offer of spending the night there. We said goodnight and went our separate ways.