Keeps the Savior Away

I decided by that night that the Neverland is like a huge fraternity house and all the Lost Boys the pledges. It was crazy. Every night, they lit a bonfire and danced around it. Tonight, it was to honor Henry. Or so they said. Henry was sitting next to me on a log, he looked depressed.
"Are you alright, Henry?" I asked him.
He looked up. "I want to go home."
"I know," I said. "But I'll get you off soon, okay? I promise. And your family is coming for you right now."
"How can you be sure about that?" He asked me.
"I can't," I said honestly. "But you have to have faith. What do we have if not faith? In the time you've known your family, though maybe not long, what's the one thing you've learned?"
"They're bad at keeping secrets?"
"No, Henry. They always find each other. And as much as this pains my punk rock pirate self to say, you have a great family. They'll come get you."
"How do you believe that?"
"How do you not? After all you've been through, all the crazy stories in your book you've read about them always finding each other, don't you believe that yourself?"
"I don't know what I believe anymore. I just want to go home."
"Well, if you're worried about being on Neverland, don't be. You've already resisted its magic," I told Henry.
"How?" He asked, looking at me intently.
"Neverland is an island meant to want to make people stay. To lure them to live their lives here under Pan's rule. All all you want to do is go home back to your family."
He smiled slightly. "Yeah, I guess so."
"Just keep that in your mind, okay kid? Your family will be here soon. They always find each other."
"How do you believe that? I mean...your dad..."
"Left me? Well, I mean, yeah. But you can't let your past define you, Henry. The future can be either bright or dark, that depends on how you act towards it. No one can decide your life, except for you."
He smiled and nodded.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Pan walked over to where Henry and I were still sitting.
"You don't want to join in the celebration, Henry?" Pan asked.
"Nothing to celebrate," Henry replied coldly.
"Nothing to celebrate?" Pan chuckled. "Henry, this whole party is to celebrate you."
"Me?" Henry stuttered. "Why?"
"Because you've come to save magic, of course. And I, for one, can't think of a reason more deserving of celebration than that. Just look at them," Pan guestured to the Lost Boys. "
"I'm not like them," Henry said. "Or you." I was proud of how he was handling the situation. Pan had only one advantage. Manipulation. It didn't matter what kind of magic he had, it didn't matter what he could do while you were on Neverland. If you could get past the manipulation, you would always beat him.
Pan smirked. "Sure you are. You're still a boy." Pan paused and pulled out his wooden pan flute. "Maybe a song will help get you on your feet."
The notes were sharp as Pan played them. It was a mystical song, laced with the magic of Neverland. You could sense it.
"Sorry," Henry said. "I...I don't hear anything."
I scrunched my eyebrows together. How could he not hear the music...?
"Interesting," Pan said. "You see, this pipe is enchanted. It can only be heard by certain children?"
I cocked my head and looked at Pan, confused. He must have noticed I could hear the music because he looked at me for a second and smirked.
"What kind?" Henry asked in reply to Pan's statement.
"You'll find out soon enough," Pan said, being cut short by Felix who came up with a grim expression on his face.
•••••••
Pan left for a while with Felix. I still just sat there, watching the camp alive with the dancing.
"Come on, Ashton!" One of the boys shouted. "Don't you know how to dance?"
"There's a fine line between being able to and not wanting to. I don't dance."
"Aw, come on. It's a party. So party."
"I am actually very happy just sitting here on a log. But thanks for the invite," I said sarcastically.
He walked over. The lost boy that was prompting me was named Cole. He was one of the Lost Boys that probably honestly did have a better life on Neverland. He wasn't much of a smart, or anything. Besides a flirt apparently.
"Come on, Ashton."
"I'm not dancing. Besides, that's not even dancing. You look like deranged monkeys. Now, leave me alone."
"Hm, I bet I can't dance well. Why don't you show me how."
"What part of leave. Me. Alone. Did you not understand?"
"Ashto-"
"You have five seconds to back off, Cole," I said. "And I know that you can't count that high, but it won't take long. Do you want to continue talking or not?
"Actually, I'd prefer to do something else if you want to."
"Okay, five seconds up." I was extremely mad at Cole. I hated males that acted like that. I was standing up to make my stand against him, but of course Devin intervened. He grabbed my arm and pulled me away.
"Come on, Ash," he said. "Let's go for a walk."
I followed grudgingly, silent vowing that if Cole ever pulled something like that again, he would get a lot more than he had coming for him.
"I hate him," I said as Devin led me into the deeper areas of the woods.
"I'm not sure anyone likes him," he replied honestly.
"I wonder why."
"You know, Ash, violence isn't the answer for everything."
"I don't use it a lot. I gave him five seconds, and he pushed me! I wasn't going to just let him get away with being a ba-"
"You don't have to," Devin interrupted me. "But don't make your rep around here like that. You're terrible outnumbered with all of the Lost Boys."
I didn't reply again.
"Well...I bet I have more of a base here than you think. I wasn't only here for a couple months before," I reminded Devin.
"I know that, Ash. I was here. And that was the best time of my life. But the point is, things have changed since you left. Just don't be biting more than you can chew."
"I won't," I promised. "Or at least I'll try not to. I'm not exactly a magnet of good things usually." I looked at him. "Well, not usually. Sometimes I get lucky." I smiled.
"Are you going to stay here, Ashton?" Devin asked after a moment of silence.
"Devin...we already talked about this once. I don't know what I want...it's like, being back here, at my home for so long, I don't want to leave. But I liked where I was, I liked...I don't know, Devin. I don't."
"Well, I'll be here when you decide," Devin replied. "I'm sure of that."

I feel like everything I write is rubbish. I read it back to myself and it sounds so forced. Do you babes think my writing has been a bit different? Should I take a break for a little while and come back when I get off this writing block? My updates have already been spaced out a lot but what is the point of this if it sounds bad? Please comment and let me know honestly what you think about this chapter. Love you babes!
Liz xx