Charlotte

Disclaimer: rights to ABC and Odette Beane.

Congrats to @Booksaresofab for winning the contest, but thank you to everyone who submitted a form. I got at least six and they were all really good! In future chapters, I might mention some of the other character forms I got, but they will not be a main character.

The picture of Emma carrying Regina from the burning building was on the cover of the Storybrooke Daily Mirror the next morning, and all day the town was abuzz with the news. Emma and I talked to Mary Margaret about thirty minutes before the debate, and we all walked to the library together. "You're going to win," Mary Margaret said, "I can feel it. And with the pictures?" It was one positive comment too many, and Emma told Mary Margaret all her suspicions of Gold's participation in the fire. As we all approached the library, we joined together with the assembling crowds. It seemed as though all of Storybrooke was there to hear the debate. "What kind of message would it send to Henry?" Emma said, the three of us climbing the stairs. "To win like that?" "Would he ever know?" "But that would mean lying to him," Emma said. "But telling the truth might lead you and Ashton to losing your jobs." "I guess that's just a risk I'll have to take." "Actually, I won't lose my job," I said. "What?" Emma asked. "Well, after you left the station Regina told me that she had nothing against me and told me I didn't have to leave." "Wow, Regina's gone soft. So you'll have your job either way," Emma said. "Not exactly, Regina told me to let her know, but I haven't said anything. I'm not sure I want to be the deputy to some undermining, mischievous reporter who'll do anything for his dearest mayor." "Yeah, don't blame you," Emma said. "Which is why I waited until today to tell her my answer. If you win, I keep my job anyways, but if Sidney wins, I have no problem telling Madam Mayor she can find herself another deputy. I'm not working for a conniving little sneak."

When it came time for Emma to speak, she still was not sure what she was going to say. Sidney had given boilerplate answers and taken the safe route with all of Archie's questions. The audience seemed to respond positively. Based only on the energy of the applause, it was obvious Emma could simply ride the "hero" wave all the way to the win. Partway through an answer Emma was giving about her thoughts on local noise ordinance, Emma simply said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I noticed Emma look down at the first row where Henry was sitting, bright eyed, smiling up at her. Emma continued, "I have to back up. I have to say something about the recent fire." The crown went completely still. "Mr. Gold started that fire," Emma said, and the gasps were audible. "And he started that fire," he continued, "because he was trying to help me win this election. Make me into a hero." Emma paused until the whispers and shocked chatter ceased. "I know, I know," she said, "and I'm sorry." Emma looked at Regina, who sat beside Henry, arms crossed, a mixture of surprise and smug satisfaction on her face. "Regina," Emma said, "I didn't know about it but I can't condone it, and I can't benefit from it. You could have been hurt. What's most important is to tell the truth about what happened." At the back of the room, Mr. Gold stood, an impassive look on his face, and turned and walked towards the exit. "This will probably cost me the election," Emma said, "but I don't want to win with a lie."

Afterward, Emma, Henry, Mary Margaret, and I all went to Granny's. Henry ordered hot chocolate with cinnamon and a pie, and Emma got a stiff drink. I stuck with a coffee and Mary Margaret did not want anything. Henry seemed okay with the outcome. After taking his last bite of pie, he wiped his mouth, reached into his backpack, and pulled out Graham's old walkies-talkies. He gave one to Emma. "What's this for?" Emma asked. "I thought about it some more," Henry said, "I think Operation Cobra should be back on. You stood up to Mr. Gold. You're a hero." "You think?" Emma asked. "I told you that he turned bad after he got his powers, and after that, the one person he loved was afraid of him. So what if that same thing had happened to you?" Henry finished. "What do you mean?" Emma asked. "What if you got your power by being bad, like he did? That would mean that whatever you did, it would always be scary. Maybe you could win, but we would all start to be afraid of you." "So you're revising your ideas about good and evil, then?" I asked Henry. "A little bit," Henry said, smiling, "I guess I didn't know you could win in the right way. Lots of these stories don't have examples of that." "Aw. You're melting my heart, kid," Emma said. "I would rather be good like you and lose, then be bad and win." A few moments later, Regina walked through the door. Sidney following closely behind. Here they come to gloat, I thought. "Victory party is in back," Regina said. Sidney did not respond; he did not look particularly joyful. We all looked at Regina. "Congratulations," Regina said flatly. "What are you talking about?" Henry asked. "It was a close vote, but people seemed to have responded to a candidate who can stand up to Mr. Gold." She shook her head, "Imagine that." "You're kidding me," I said. "She doesn't kid," said Sidney. "You didn't pick a very good friend in Mr. Gold, Ms. Swan. But he does make a superlative enemy. Enjoy that." Emma smiled a little. All of the people who helped Emma with her brief campaign slowly came into Granny's, all telling her she had done the right thing.

The next day, Emma said she would go to the station first, after all, we both knew Mr. Gold would be waiting for her. After Emma left, Henry found me and asked if we could go to the ice cream shop. "Sure, I'll even treat you to a double scoop." Henry smiled. We got to the ice cream shop. But instead of the usual lady that was there, there was a girl, probably about my age, with blonde, curly hair and green eyes. She was wearing a light pink skater dress and rosy colored heels. "Hi, what can I get you?" The girl asked. "I'll have a double scoop of Rocky Road," Henry said. "That all?" The girl asked. "Yes." "Okay." The girl rang up the price. "Are you new to town?" I asked the girl. "No, I just recently got a job here at the ice cream shop, I used to work at a clothing store. I didn't come into town a lot, I lived in one of the back neighborhoods. I'm Charlotte, but everyone calls me Charlie." "Ashton, but everyone calls me Ash." Charlie smiled, "Nice to meet you. I'll be seeing you around." "Probably, especially since we spend half of our time in this ice cream shop." Charlotte laughed. "Bye!" "Bye." Henry frowned when we got outside. "What's wrong?" I asked him. "I don't know who she is." "She just said her name was Charlotte." "I mean in the Enchanted Forest." "Huh, weird." "Yeah, yeah it is."