Back to the Jolly Roger

I continue to ride until I know the land I am in. It is all familiar now. I know the woods, and they continue to look more and more familiar until I realize I am in the same town that I fled from when first leaving the Jolly Roger and my dad. Memories come back as I ride through it and I realize something.
It does not bother me anymore. I mean, sure, something like leaving your dad does not just leave your memory altogether. But I know now that he is still here. I have a family again and I do not need to run. How funny that I left from this town and now it seems I have ended back here yet again. And now, I am looking for my dad instead of running away from his voice as he begs me to come back.
When I get to the harbor I see a familiar ship, but it's not the Jolly Roger. It's the Queen Anne's Revenge. And the captain is not a friend.
The ship was empty at the port, and I had a dreading feeling that I would not get out of town without running into the captain.
"Ashton Jones."
Quicker than I thought. I turn around, expecting to see a familiar face, but the face I see is anything but familiar.
"Do I know you?"
"No, I suppose not." He has a strong Irish accent on a nice face. "I'm Doyle. I used to be a worker on the Queen Anne's Revenge."
"You work for Blackbeard?"
"Worked," he corrects. "Blackbeard is no longer the captain on my ship or any other."
"What happened to him?" Blackbeard is not the kind of person who would simply quit being captain. He would die before stopping command...
"He was killed. Forced to walk the plank of a ship he stole. And I believe that is where you come into the story. He walked the plank of the Jolly Roger."
"When did this happen?" I ask Doyle.
"About a half month ago. That is when I assumed command of the Queen Anne's Revenge."
"Who made Blackbeard walk the plank?" I ask.
"Captain Hook, of course. And I also happen to know he is looking for you."
It hits me that dad has been looking for me for almost a year. He probably thinks I left again. Or died. Or worse. All I told Smee was that I had a lead on Devin. That's it.
"Where is he now?"
"Headed to Allein."
Of course. He would be making his way towards the main area of the Enchanted Forest. That is where I would go. And dad knows that.
"Thank you," I say.
"If you'd like free passage there, I will gladly assist. We are headed that way anyways."
"Why would you help me?"
"Just because Blackbeard was your enemy, that does not make the Queen Anne's Revenge or its crew your enemy. New start."
"So you're expecting something in return? You do realize the Jolly Roger is not my ship. It's my dad's. And I won't make any deals that I can't keep."
"I don't ask for anything in return."
"Well, okay then."
"Great, let me show you my ship."
••••
I did not believe that Doyle was helping me for the reason of helping me. But for now, I needed to get to Allein, and I was desperate to. I could not let my dad think I was hurt or dead, I was not going to cause him any sort of pain. He was alone. Even with the Jolly Roger, even with Smee and all the crew, he would be alone.
The Queen Anne's Revenge is a beautiful ship. When someone thinks of the best ship, they think of the Jolly Roger. But if something happened to the Jolly Roger, the Queen Anne's Revenge would take over as the prettiest ship in the realm. It is fast, and the wood made for it was handcrafted to fit together perfectly. It truly is a magnificent ship.
Doyle is very proud to captain it, I can tell. He walks with great posture as he boards his ship, and is pleased to have someone to show it to. Of course, I have already seen the ship, but I pretend to have never seen the lovely craftsmanship as Doyle gives me a tour of the ship, while his deck hands and lieutenant untie the ropes and we begin sailing towards Allein.
Some people are really passionate about their job. Some people hate their job. And some people get to spend their life doing what they love as their job. Doyle is the latter. Its amazing how much something can change. The Queen Anne's Revenge was feared because of the old captain, Blackbeard, and now it seems the crew enjoy their work, instead of having secret thoughts of mutiny.

"So what do you think of the ship?" Doyle asks.
"It's amazing," I reply. "Beautiful."
Doyle smiles.
"Not a lot of people appreciate ships. Most think they are just wood and fabric mixed together to make a floating device."
"Well, not a lot of people have the chance to know it."
"I guess its up to people like you and me to raise the generation that know how to properly sail a ship." Doyle blushed, realizing how what he said sounded. I laughed at his now red face.
"I didn't me-"
"I know. It's okay."
Doyle laughed, "I am not very good at this whole talking thing. With anyone, but women especially. I didn't use to be that bad."
"What happened?" I am not sure why I suddenly had a urge to know, but something inside of me wanted to know about Doyle.
"My girlfriend, Cordelia, we were going to get married. But, she disappeared. Day before the wedding. I still have no clue where she is or if she is even alive."
"I'm sorry, that's horrible."
Doyle tried to smile. "I'm sure I am not the only one with a sad story."
"Why do you think that?"
"Because I can see it in your eyes," Doyle says. "It's the same look I see when I look at my own reflection."
"Yeah, I lost someone recently. But I know he is gone forever, I can't get him back."
"Another thing we can both relate on."
"It seems so."

It does not take long to get to Allein on the boat. But on feet, it would have taken me a day and a half at the shortest. When the Queen Anne's Revenge pulls into port, I am standing with Doyle by the starboard.
"Thank you, Doyle," I say. "For the ride."
"You're welcome. Thank you for talking with me. It was the first time in a while I have talked to someone about Cordelia. Are you sure you don't want anyone to come with you into the town to find your dad?"
"I'm sure. He won't be too far away."
"Goodbye, Ashton. I hope we see each other again someday."
I nod and get off the Queen Anne's Revenge.
"Set sail for Lesanges."
It was good that right now nothing had happened. I was not ready. After Devin, I do not think I will ever be ready. But I know deep down that I will see Doyle again. Because Allein took him far away from Lesanges, and he only did it for me.