A Job

Disclaimer: rights to ABC and Odette Beane.

The next morning, Emma and I walked with Henry from his house to the bus stop, unconcerned whether Regina would see. Henry was obviously happy to see us both, abuzz about John Doe and Operation Cobra, his name for breaking the curse and, mainly, getting Emma to completely believe. Emma seemed happy listening to Henry.

After Henry waved goodbye and the bus pulled away, Emma had to stop short when the town's sole police cruiser pulled into a driveway and blocked us on the sidewalk. Graham popped out and nodded good morning. "You almost ran me over!" Emma said, while I stuck with hi. "Had to get your attention," Graham replied. "Are you going to arrest me again?" Emma asked, "Lemme guess. Trumped up jaywalking charges." Graham smiled and hung his head, which I took to be his way of acknowledging how unfairly Emma had been treated here so far. It was obvious Graham was sympathetic to Emma, even though he and Regina seemed to have a complicated relationship. There was something between the sheriff and the mayor, maybe even something romantic. I couldn't tell, but I felt it. And it made sense. Late hours, working together, neither of them attached... I did not know how it fit into the equation of Storybrooke, but it certainly mattered. "I want to offer you a job, actually," Graham said, "both of you." He looked at Emma and continued, "I need a deputy, and I know that you're good. I also need a backup," he said looking at me, "I think we'd all make a great team." "Something tells me your boss wouldn't like that," I said. I was surprised by the offer. Flattered as well. Emma said no. Graham asked her to think about it. She said she would, and I took the offer up, needing money to hopefully get an apartment if I would be staying for a while. Besides, Graham was nice, and seemed like a great co worker. Also, I knew Emma would come around and say yes, it was clear she had feelings for Graham, and also obvious he felt the same. After getting an answer from us, Graham drove off.

The next surprise came at the diner twenty minutes later, when Regina slipped into our booth, smiled her devious smile, and said, "Good morning, Ms. Swan. Ms. Jones. Have a nice walk with my son?" "Of course you already know about that," Emma said. "It's not really what I'm here to talk about. I don't mind. I understand the urge; he's a lovely child." "What is it?" Emma asked flatly, "that you'd like to talk about?" "Roots, Ms. Swan. The problem of roots," Regina said, "you don't have any. You drift, you don't stay in the same place for long.Phoenix, Nashville, Tallahassee, Boston...and here you are now. With no lease, staying with Miss Blanchard. How long will it be before you leave again? Do you see what I mean? I'm happy that Henry is happy, but I'm making this appeal to you. If you're being honest, don't you thing this will all eventually hurt Henry more than help him?" Emma stared at her, with a look of cold recognition. Regina saw it and drove in the knife: "You will leave eventually. People don't change. Why not spare your son's feelings and rip the Band-Aid off clean?" The mayor stood and walked away. Emma was clearly flustered by the comment, and stood as well, apparently trying to think of something to say in response. But now words came. All she managed to do was knock over her hot cocoa and spill it all over her sweater and my coat. Ruby saw this happen, took pity, and sent us back to the diner's laundry room to clean up. "My friend's back there," she said, passing by with an order, "she's nice. Talk to her, will you? She's going through something." Ruby zipped away.