Runaway

Disclaimer: rights to ABC and Odette Beane.

The evidence was so incredibly good, almost too good, I thought as Emma and I went back over to the sheriff's office to inform Mary Margaret of the knife found.
"We have the weapon now," Emma said sadly, looking at her friend through the bars. It was bagged and in the evidence folder. Things were not looking good for Mary Margaret.
"But in the heating vent?" Mary Margaret cried. "I don't even know how to open that."
"Than someone broke into our house and planted it there," Emma replied.
"Do you not believe me?"
"I believe you, Mary Margaret, but I need some evidence pointing in the right direction. So far it's all been pointing the wrong way."
"What are you saying?" Mary Margaret asked, sinking back onto the chair in her jail cell.
"I'm saying that it might be time to hire a lawyer," Emma said.
"An excellent idea!"
We all turned to see Gold standing in the doorway, his cane held delicately in both hands. He nodded hello.
"What are you doing here?" I asked him.
"Offering my legal services to Miss Blanchard," Gold replied, coming into the room. "I can be very persuasive. Ask Ms. Swan. I found myself in the same seat not too long ago, and now, look at me. A free man."
"It helps to have a judge in your pocket," Emma said.
"It does, actually, yes. But, Ms. Blanchard, I've been following your case, and I believe you'd be well advised to bring me in as your counsel. Immediately. I, too, can have you free of that cell quite soon."
"What she needs is for me to have space to do my job, Gold, not—"
"No one is stopping you," said Gold. "I'm simply offering to help—"
"Please go." Both Emma and Gold stopped arguing and turned to Mary Margaret.
"I think you should reconsider, Miss Blanchard," said Gold.
"I wasn't talking to you, Mr. Gold," she said turning a steely gaze to Emma. "I was talking to the sheriff. I'd like to talk to my lawyer now. In private."
Emma eyed Mary Margaret curiously, shrugged, and turned to Gold.
"Okay, you win," Emma said to Gold. "I hope you have her best interest at heart."
"Of course I do," he said, smiling at Mary Margaret. "I have for some time."
Once Gold was done talking, Emma and I went back inside, just to leave again. David came in and asked for ten minutes alone with Mary Margaret, so Emma started her watch and we walked to Granny's to get a coffee.

Emma was growing more and more concerned she would not be able to find a way to free her friend. The lab results had come back and confirmed that the heart was Kathryn's. It was now a murder investigation. We all believed Regina was behind it, but there was no proof. Regina had bested us at every turn. Emma went to the man she had come to think of as the equalizer.
"I need your help, Mr. Gold."
"Do you?"
"I do. I think Regina is behind whatever is happening with Mary Margaret. And I can't prove it."
"And how can I help?" Gold asked, dusting the counter top in his pawnshop.
"I don't know how to handle her," Emma said. "I just don't."
Gold smiled. "Quite an act of humility," he said. "I admire that, Ms. Swan. And you're right to be wary. She is a dangerous woman. Very dangerous."
"So tell me," Emma said. "Tell me how to beat her."

Emma and Gold talked for two more hours, developing their plan. When Emma felt ready, we went back to the sheriff's department, intent on filling in Mary Margaret.
One problem: Mary Margaret was gone.
 Henry greeted us outside of the office, where he was sitting with his book, leaning up against the door.
"Your plan is amazing!" Henry said when he saw us.
"What plan?" Emma asked. "What are you doing here?"
"I came to talk to Mary Margaret, but than I realized what was going on so I decided to wait for you."
"What are you talking about, Henry? What did you realize?"
My question was answered when we walked into the office, and Mary Margaret's cell was empty.
"It appears Miss Blanchard has taken matters into her own hands," Gold said. "What an interesting development."
Henry had come in behind us.
"Henry," Emma said, "what did you do?"
"I didn't do anything," Henry said. "I thought you did it. Isn't this your plan?"
"No," I said. "But it might be someone else's."
"Either that," Gold said, "or she has escaped on her own."
"The arraignment is at eight a.m. tomorrow!" Emma exclaimed. "She's a fugitive now, she's in trouble."
"Then we have until eight a.m. to find her," I said.
"What can I do to help?" Henry asked.
"Go home, kid," Emma said. "This is getting way too serious for you to be caught up in it."
"Miss Blanchard's future is already in jeopardy, as you know," Gold said, looking placidly at Emma with his penetrating eyes. "But I shall also remind you that if you are caught aiding her, yours may very well be, too."
"I don't care," Emma said, gathering her things. "I'd rather lose my job and help my friend."
"Even if it involves a miscarriage of justice?" Gold asked.
"Even if."
"How interesting," Gold said. "Friendship."
"Haven't you ever had any friends, Mr. Gold? It changes things."
"Yes," he said. "I've heard that."
"Then you understand."
Gold nodded at this. I could not tell if he respected it, questioned it, or just found it amusing.

That night, I got a call from Emma.
"Hey."
"Hey, Emma. What's up?"
"I'm going out to look for Mary Margaret," Emma said.
"What? It's almost ten. You won't be able to find her in pitch black."
"I can't look during the day in case someone sees me. I have to find her and help her, Ashton. I just wanted you to know in case anything happens. I don't know what kind of state Mary Margaret would be in to break out of jail. If you don't get a call from me by twelve, than something's up, okay?"
"Okay. Good luck, Emma."
"Thanks," she said, hanging up."