Emma Unemployed

Disclaimer: rights to ABC and Odette Beane.

Emma and I found Henry in his "castle". It was about thirty minutes before school started, and he was clearly downcast. He did not seem excited even when Emma showed him the walkies-talkies, and eventually just stuffed them into his backpack. Emma suggested we could use them for Operation Cobra work, but he only looked back out at the water when she mentioned it. Clearly something was wrong with Henry. What had once brought a mischievous glint to his eyes no longer gave him joy. "Henry, what's wrong?" I asked. He took a minute to reply, but he sighed and did. "I've been thinking. I feel like we should stop Operation Cobra. It seemed really fun, but now Sheriff Graham is dead." "That had nothing at all to do with you or the curse," Emma said, "he had a sick heart. He'd known for a long time." Henry turned and looked at Emma with grave seriousness. "That's not what happened," he said, "the Queen killed him because you two were falling in love and he was her slave. And she was mad." "I know you think that, but sometimes bad things just happen for no reason." "That's not true, either," he said, growing agitated, "she killed him because he was good, and good always loses here. And you're good, and that means you're going to lose." "Good doesn't always lose," Emma said, "it's just harder for good. Because good plays by more rules." Henry seemed to once again get interested, even though he still seemed distracted. "Good has to play fair," he said. "You have to get it out of your head that Regina killed somebody," Emma said, "She didn't. It's not fair to her." Henry smiled. "What?" I asked. "You're right," he said. "We don't want to make her any more angrier than she is already. Right?" Emma cocked her head. "That's not what I mean, kid." "I know, but still."

Emma and I dropped Henry off at school and then went back to the station for a long day of doing nothing. When we walked in, Emma's eyes drifted to Graham's desk. His badge was still there. "Emma, I know it hasn't been that long, but you are sheriff. I think it's time you had the badge." She smiled slightly and nodded. She went to the desk and picked the badge up. "You won't be needing that." I turned. Regina, arms crossed, stood in the doorway. "Ashton decided I should be the sheriff, and the position automatically falls to me tomorrow," Emma said, "have I misunderstood the charter?" "It automatically falls to you if the mayor fails to appoint somebody else," Regina said, strolling into the room, looking disdainfully at the mess on my desk. "I'm going to appoint someone else this afternoon." "Who?" I asked. "Sidney Glass from the Storybrooke Daily Mirror." She said, casually, "He knows the town well. He's been here for quite some time." A reporter?" Emma asked, "he's not qualified." "Oh, I think he'll be just fine," Regina said, smiling. "And it'll be a pleasure to have somebody here who is not actively working to undermine me." "Graham picked me for a reason, Regina," Emma said. "I know you don't like it, but he did." "Yes, a reason," Regina retaliated, "he wanted to sleep with you." "That's not true!" Emma exclaimed. "Isn't it?" Regina continued, "Either way. It's time for us to make a clean break. You and I both know its inappropriate for you to be employed by the town. You'll have to find some other work." "What are you saying?" Emma asked. "I'm saying," said Regina, taking Graham's badge from Emma's hands, "that you're fired."

Emma went to talk to Mr. Gold. I was going to leave with her, when Regina stopped me. "Ms. Jones, I am aware you do not like me, but I have nothing against you. Unlike Ms. Swan, you are not competing to take my son away from me, and you are welcome to keep your job here at the sheriff's department. Sidney will need a deputy anyways." I stood there, genuinely shocked. Why would Regina want me to keep working there?! Regina noticed me not answering, and said, "I will give you time to think it over. Let me know when you have made your decision."