20. Contact

Back at Cokeworth for summer holiday, Olivia stood in the kitchen covered in flour. She was baking away her feelings in hopes of distracting her from the tension between her and Snape.

They had not spoke about the argument at the end of term. They ate in silence, lived in silence, and avoided each other.

That was until Snape came into the kitchen from his study and seen the mess the girl was making.

"What are you doing?" He asked

"Baking biscuits." She said sharply.

He blew. "Olivia I think we should talk about what happened."

"Why bother? You made it clear what you think about me."

"No I didn't. I made that same mistake many years ago and i don't want to make it again. I do not think you are less than because you are a Muggle born. I would have not let you into my home, if I thought that. The truth is," he sighed. "That I didn't think I deserved your kindness."

Olivia stopped using her rolling pin and looked up at the man with a confused look

Olivia stopped using her rolling pin and looked up at the man with a confused look. "You thought you didn't deserve my kindness?" He nodded his head.

His jaw was clenching and Olivia could tell that this was a tough conversation for him to have. She dusted her hands off on her apron and crossed her arms. "I don't think it's up to anyone but me to decide who I think deserves my kindness. And frankly, I think if people showed more kindness then this world wouldn't be so horrible to people like me." She said matter of factly. She waited for him to say anything but he didn't and Olivia was tired of the feud between them.

"Okay, I forgive you." She huffed. She could see the relief leaving his shoulders.

"Dumbledore had a talk with me. And this year he decided that it would be best if you didn't work at the school. There is a lot of important meetings going on for the following school year and he asked me to tell you that he sends his apologies." Snape said

"That's fine, he actually gave my name to a few people that was wanting portraits done. I decided to take on commissions this summer instead. I was going to tell you. But that means I will have to go and meet with clients while you're at work." She informed him, starting up her baking again.

"You're not allowed to use magic-"

"I'm meeting with muggles." She told him

"Oh, then you have my permission."

"Good, because I have a meeting tomorrow. But can you do me a favor?" She asked. "Give these tins of biscuits to McGonagall and Dumbledore when you go to work." She said handing him two tins.

"I suppose I could." He said taking the tins from her eyeing them.

She noticed him looking at the biscuits, "You can have some off the racks on the counter. They're gingersnaps. I believe Dumbledore will get a particular laugh at them."