002. ꕥ Reunion

The first thing I heard was shouts and voices. When I opened my eyes, I immediately closed them because of the sparks flying everywhere. Opening them again, my vision became less blurry as my eyes came into focus, scanning my unfamiliar surroundings. I could make out the utterly petrified teenagers, including myself, sitting and standing all strapped in one way or another. A small scream escaped my lips with my head thrashing to the side as whatever we were in shook violently.

"Prisoners of the Ark, hear me now." I heard a voice say and I knew exactly who's a voice that was — Jaha. My head jolted all around until I found the source of his voice, which was a small monitor hooked to the metal wall. "You've been given a second chance, and as your Chancellor, I hope that you see this as not just a chance for you, but a chance for all of us, indeed for mankind itself. We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've sent others. Frankly, we are sending you because your crimes have made you expendable."

"Your dad's a dick, Wells." Some random kid called out, and I couldn't agree more. I hate that man with a burning passion. He forced me to stay hidden for fourteen years; he killed my Father, he locked my brother up. When I tell you he ruined my life, I mean it.

I didn't even bother to listen to the last little bit of that speech, but just my luck, he continued. "The drop site has been chosen carefully. Before the last war, Mount Weather was a military base built within a mountain. It was to be stocked with enough nonperishables to sustain three hundred people."

I turned my head from the screen to see another kid in a beanie floating around in the Dropship. People started cheering and laughing and yelling, 'Go, Finn.' He ended up over by Wells and the same blonde I saw getting shot with a tranquilizer earlier. He talked to them, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. My attention went back to their group when the blond shouted at two kids who were undoing their seat belts. I watched as they started to float around, just like the one who I assume the name is Finn was doing.

Something then jerked everyone around, and the three boys who were floating got thrown into a wall. Screams and gasps filled the room as one of them hit a few pipes, and steam had started spewing from them. As the ship continued to slam violently into the atmosphere, I could barely hear the blonde shout something. Everyone shook violently as sparks flew everywhere, with steam continuing to gush and the lights beginning to flicker. From what I could tell, the rockets hadn't fired yet to keep us from crashing into the ground, which was not good.

"Okay, okay." I mumbled to myself, closing my eyes and tilting my head back into the seat. This rocket just needs time to get itself going. Either that or we crash land into the Earth, and everyone dies. "Come on, ship, please work. I'm begging you."

I could feel the rocket's fire as I felt a more controlled shake. That's good. Only then, a few seconds later, we landed with the loudest thud I've ever heard with my head thrashing forward, and I'm still alive.

A deadened silence spread through the ship, allowing me to hear — actually, it's what I couldn't hear. The silence. It was something that I had never heard in my life; always in the background, there was the machine hum of the Ark. It was peace and quiet — this was peace and quiet.

Seconds later, a kid with dark hair strapped against the wall said precisely what I was thinking. "Listen. No machine hum."

The kid on his left that had a pair of goggles on his head, someone who I faintly recognized said, "Woah. That's a first."

Everyone started to hastily unhook their seatbelts, along with myself, as the blonde went for the two kids lying on the floor that had followed Finn out of their seats. "Finn, is he breathing?" She asked but got no response from him.