iii: Words Of Protection

"As you know, the terms of martial law and of the Exodus Charter give me both latitude and ultimate authority in determining your punishment. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Charles Pike's voice was condescending as he spoke through the notion that the newly elected Chancellor believed he was better than the man sitting across from where he stood. Kane sat in the middle of the room, his hands restrained behind his back, making this sitting even more unbearably uncomfortable. A table sat in front of him, and one fluorescent tube of light was attached to the ceiling, with the burden of being the only light source in the room, its stale light reflecting off the metal table.

Bellamy stood off to the side with crossed arms as he observed the encounter curiously; Hannah and a few other guards stood in the interrogation room, all surrounding Kane, forming a circle encasing the former Chancellor. It was a few hours after Kane's plan had gone to complete shit, and Bellamy caught the older man and Jo inside the Rover with Pike restrained in the back. If it weren't for Monty informing Bellamy during the riot that Kane was going after Pike, then he and Jo would've gotten their wish — they would've turned him over to the Grounders. Even with that victory, Bellamy couldn't help but feel a pang of hurt — like someone was squeezing his heart — watching Jo be arrested, staring Bellamy down with a crestfallen expression.

Kane looked up at the Chancellor, and Bellamy furrowed his brows when a small reminiscence of a smile formed upon his lips. "I admire your adherence to the rule of law. I really do." No one in the room knew it, but Kane dared to think that Pike reminded him of himself back when they were on the Ark, but Kane learned from Jaha that in some circumstances, the rules needed to be looked past — this was something Pike had yet to learn. "But these are times when we have to look beyond the rules. To realize they were established to serve a world of the past. Not of the future. I beg you one last time to see the world as it is. Not as it was. Or as you want it to be."

"And I hope you believe..." Pike began, Bellamy's eyes shifting over to the man, watching as he walked closer to Kane, "that if I thought for one minute that turning myself over to the enemy would secure the safety of our people... I would do it."

Pike's last four words were quiet, his hands on the table before Kane, right in front of his face. As the interrogation — Bellamy didn't know if you could call it that at this point — went on, he continued to pay attention and watch because even he had no idea what this would turn into. He wouldn't admit it out loud ever in a million years, but Bellamy felt a bit nervous as the scene played out before him.

"But only a deluded man would believe that. And only a guilty man would try and tell him so." Pike pushed himself away from the table, taking a few steps back before announcing, "Marcus Kane. For the crimes of treason, kidnapping and attempted murder, I hear by sentence you to death. Take him."

It was like a bomb dropped in the room at that very moment. Kane barely reacted to the words, but Bellamy, on the other hand, it was as if all the color had drained from his face the second those daunting words left Pike's mouth. His head immediately snapped to the man who had just given the sentencing, the man he had been following loyally for the last few weeks. Bellamy couldn't believe those words had just been uttered.

When two guards seized either of Kane's arms, pulling him forcefully from the chair, Bellamy's gaze went back to the older man; bafflement splashed across his face. A layer of uneasy sweat had found its way on Bellamy's face, glistening in the light, and Bellamy's eyes were unbelieving. Kane craned his neck quickly to look at Bellamy in almost a robotic fashion, his movements and look giving off the words, 'you brought this on yourself.' Bellamy could have sworn Kane looked at him like that for hours — that look was daunting, really.