114. ꕥ Two Different Kinds Of Shocked

The six days following Clarke's announcement, claiming that we'd all survive Praimfaya, were tiring, to say the least. For the past six days, it was non-stop working for the people of Arkadia, with everyone getting little to no rest. Everybody worked day and night trying to brace Alpha Station for the oncoming threat.

My days were simply spent wandering around camp, tablet in hand, making sure everyone was where they were supposed to be, when they were supposed to be, and doing the job they were supposed to be doing correctly. After about the second day of everyone else working, I had finally figured out a job that would allow me to help while keeping my movements to a minimum at Bellamy's request. Raven was thrilled at the idea of her not having to babysit everyone and being able to focus on fixing the Ark as well as working on rationing at Clarke's orders. So the four days after that were a lot less boring for me and more impactful to the camp as a whole.

That being said, I couldn't get to do that quite just yet on this particular early morning because two people had insisted that I go to Medical for a checkup. Those two people were Bellamy and Abby, the latter of the two having had returned from Polis after deciding there was nothing more she could do for Roan.

This was my first checkup since Abby had pulled me out of lock-up when Pike was still around. However, this time, I had Bellamy at my side as Abby conducted the check-up with no one in sight other than the three of us, Abby still keeping her word that she would keep the baby secret. And now she had this machine called an ultrasound that she said she'd discovered and had Raven fix in order for it to work properly. Abby assured that this way would be a lot easier to keep up with the baby's progress than her stethoscope.

I was laying back against the cot, my hand gripping Bellamy's as he stood beside me, eyes scanning over all that Abby was doing as if it was the most intriguing thing in the world. The older woman sat on the other side of the bed, pressing a smaller piece of the ultrasound connected to the monitor she was looking at through a wire against my bare stomach, my shirt being pulled to just under my chest. This oily substance was on the smaller part, feeling cool against my stomach as Abby moved it from side to side.

My eyes were trained on the ceiling of Medical, and I constantly took deep breaths as Abby continued. It felt like she had been doing this for an eternity, but I knew it couldn't have been more than twenty minutes. Anxiousness was settling on both Bellamy and me, given how tight our grip was on each other's hands.

"Okay." Abby spoke as she stood up, turning both mine and Bellamy's attention to her. "I just did the basic check-up and—"

"Everything's okay?" Bellamy asked, unable to mask the undeniable anxiousness that came out in his tone.

Abby's eyes glanced up at him, and I swear I could see the smallest of smiles tug at her lips as she kept one hand on the small machine pressed against my stomach and placed the other on the monitor, turning it around so the screen was facing us. "This is your baby."

The image on the screen was incredible, and it had me so awestruck that I wasn't able to form words to speak, and neither could Bellamy based on his incoherent mumbles of amazement. On the screen, there was a shade of gray covering it that almost looked like static. An oval-shaped black hole with a small white spot was in the middle, and when you looked really closely at the spot, you could see it pulsing. It wasn't much, and the image in front of me didn't resemble at all of what a person looked like, but it was the baby.

"Oh my god." I breathed out after a moment, finally able to form words that weren't going to come out like whatever the hell Bellamy was trying to say.