022. ꕥ Nuts

It had been a few days since everything happened with the Grounder

It had been a few days since everything happened with the Grounder. Since then, I decided just to let whatever happened go. I still didn't like what happened and what Bellamy and Raven did, but I couldn't be hung up on the past. And I couldn't change the past either it was doing me no good to think about it endlessly. Besides, the Grounder was still locked up, and nothing has happened to him since.

It was getting colder outside, and the air was getting thinner. Each day I could feel the temperature drop, and ice had started to stick to things. I kept my green jacket on almost all day because it was the only source of warmth I had. We didn't have much to help us survive winter at the Dropship. We had spent the last few days trying to prepare as much as we could. We had been curing meat, bagging nuts, and making ration packs. We were trying our best, but we were little too not prepared for the upcoming cold weather. The only option we have right now for shelter is the Dropship, and I know for a fact that a little less than a hundred kids wouldn't want to be in the Dropship all winter right on top of each other. One of those kids included me.

Today I was on nuts and helping Jasper and Monty crack and bag them up. The nuts we found were gross. I had one, and it was disgusting, so I spat it out immediately. However, I would eat it if it was that or starve to death. We have a good system going as of right now. Jasper broke the nuts open, and Monty and I were there to bag, seal, and put them away.

"Guys, will you please try to focus." I asked Monty and Jasper as the former threw another into the latter's mouth. They had been doing this the when time, and despite how entertaining it was, I knew we needed to get this done.

Jasper playfully punched my shoulder. "Come on, Jo. Where's your sense of fun?"

"Where's your sense of fun gonna be when we all either freeze or starve to death?" I asked Jasper, not looking up from the task at hand.

"I don't know. It'll probably still be with Monty and his sense of fun." Jasper laughed.

"Come on, Monty," I said, looking up to him. "I thought you were supposed to be the rational one in the friendship."

"I usually am." Monty put another nut in his mouth. "It's these nuts, there so damn good."

"I know, right." Jasper piped up.

Monty and Jasper both said their sentences with more enthusiasm than normal people. This caused me to shake my head and laugh at the best friends. I loved their friendship, and it was always so fun to be around them.

They settled back down, and we continued to work on the nuts for a while until Jasper spoke with a much quieter and more serious tone. "What do you guys think they're gonna do with the Grounder?"

"I'd rather not think about it." Monty said, looking towards the Dropship.

"Well, it's been days since Bellamy captured him." Jasper pointed out.