024. ꕥ Unity Day Celebrations

Today is Unity Day

Today is Unity Day. I had always loved Unity Day because of my brother. When we were little, instead of going out with the other kids, my brother stayed with me, and we had our own party. We would use toilet paper for streamers, and we would take glasses and pretend like we were drinking wine. Once, our parents got us a music player, and we danced around all night to any song that came on. Those were the best kinds of parties.

On the ground, however, I don't like Unity Day, mainly because I'm without my brother. It was like that way in lock up, but even then, I knew he was still alive and okay. On this Unity Day, I felt more alone than ever without him.

Most of the camp surrounded the small screen we used for the radio that was moved outside. I was standing next to Raven with my arms crossed. Jaha was on the screen ranting about Unity Day; it was apparently some speech he's given every year.

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day." Jaha announced. "Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year... on the ground."

"Right." Miller said as he stood to the right of Raven and me. "After we did all the work. Someone shut him up."

"You shut up, Miller." Raven fired. "No one's forcing you to watch."

Miller just gave her a look before going back to look at the screen. Jaha kept going with his speech as I turned to talk to Raven.

"What do you think is gonna happen when the Dropship comes down?" I asked.

"We'll lose all the guns, and the Council will probably take over." Raven answered straightforwardly.

We both went back to watching the screen. Not even a minute after that, Jasper came out of where Monty's newly built still was. He came out cheering, "Monty strikes again!" He held up a giant jug that I assumed had Monty's moonshine. Jasper ran into the middle of the camp, holding up the jug. "I call this batch unity juice! Who's thirsty?!"

He was met with cheers from the crowd and was instantly surrounded by kids who wanted a drink. Because of the swarming kids, I somehow got separated from Raven. I stayed back and watched Jasper and the other kids have fun with drinks when someone came up beside me. "Not gonna get a drink?"

"I'm not really in the mood for drinking." I told Bellamy, turning my gaze from the crowd to him.

"Nobody's ever not in the mood to drink." He argued with a smile.

This brought a smile to my face. "Why don't you have one for me. I know your dying to try Monty's moonshine."

"Someone's got to keep an eye out for the Grounders."

"Bellamy Blake being responsible, I never thought I'd see the day," I joked. "but here we are."

"Plus, someone's got to keep an eye on Jasper. Knowing him, he'll have about two drinks and be out of it." Bellamy added.