082. ꕥ Past Actions

The gun in my hand had been ready to use three hours ago when the tree first fell. Everyone had their weapons loaded and ready to use, beside Indra, who had her sword. Daylight had broken, and there was still no sign of anyone outside the Rover. We had been waiting in three long hours of silence for something to happen. We all knew that someone was out there — the tree didn't just magically fall — it was just a matter of either them or us doing something.

"It's been three hours." Bellamy was the one to break the ongoing silence. "What are they waiting for?"

"Even with the light, I don't see anyone." Said Kane from where he sat looking through one of the Rover's windows.

I did the same as my eyes darted around, looking for any sign that someone was out there. "We probably won't see them unless they want to be seen."

"I say me make a run for it." A small sigh left my mouth before I turned my head to Monty, who had moved from the driver's seat to sit with us in the back.

"No." Kane objected, still not taking his eyes off the forest. "That's what they want us to do."

"The boy is right. They can wait longer than we can." Indra spoke.

"So, what do we do?" My eyes tore away from the forest to look at Kane.

"Okay, Bellamy." Kane spoke after his eyes darted in my direction for a quick second. "You get in the turret, and you cover us. Once we get to that ridge over there, we'll cover you."

I moved over between Kane and Bellamy to look out the window Kane looked through to see the ridge he was talking about. There was a long way in between us and the ridge, and it had me slightly worried if we would make it.

My weary eyes met Bellamy's as he spoke. "Copy that. Run fast."

"You better shoot fast." I remarked, but there was no humor in my words because I knew this plan had a high chance of going south.

Bellamy moved to open the hatch, and when he did, the bright sunlight came through, and my eyes squinted for a moment before they readjusted. With a gun in hand, Bellamy stood with his top half through the turret. There was only a second before I could see Bellamy's lower half tense, and it caused me to tense as well.

When he called out, "They're here," my body tensed even more as my heart dropped. Almost instinctively, I pointed the gun in my hands up past where Bellamy stood to see a man dressed in Grounder clothing holding a knife to his throat.

"Everybody out or the boy dies." Said the man — who's sounded oddly familiar, but I didn't have time to dwell on that thought because he hastily pulled Bellamy out of the Rover. I tried to reach out to grab him before he was entirely out, but I was nowhere near quick enough.

"Okay! Okay, we're coming out." Kane yelled as he lifted the strap of his gun over his head. "Don't hurt him."

I followed Kane's actions as he turned to open the back door of the Rover. He barely had pushed it an inch before it was thrown open from the outside, and another person dressed in Grounder clothes pulled him out of the Rover. Another came and grabbed me before they forcefully threw me on the ground with my stomach pressing against the dirt next to Bellamy.

My left arm was yanked from under me and pulled behind my back, causing a strained groan to escape from my lips. I felt a foot being pressed against my lower back, pinning me to the ground and preventing me from moving but a few centimeters.

"All targets secure!" A woman's voice shouted.

My eyes darted over to where Monty was when a Grounder pulled him from the ground and snatched the beacon from Monty. He was struggling against another Grounder that held him back as he protested. "It's mine. Give it back."