119. ꕥ Confide In Me

The pads of my thumb and index finger rubbed small circles on the contrasting smooth metal and the etched name of my small pendant that hadn't been taken off since I received it. As my fingers were doing the small mundane task, my mind was trying to listen to Kane, though most of the words were going right through my head, which I knew he knew. And yet he still continued, muttering about the events of last night.

The fire had taken out most of Arkadia, with only a few remaining spaces being untouched by the fire. There was a thunderstorm following the horrific events, extinguishing the flames and stopping them from doing any more damage to our home and the miles of forest surrounding us. People were outside either collecting scrap metal per Kane's orders or being attended to because Medical was chocked full of people already. That being where Octavia rested, Bellamy and I made sure we found a safe place for the younger Blake before leaving her for the night.

Burnt to a crisp was weeks worth of hard work done by driven people because of Ilian kom Trishanakru, who, from what little Octavia said, despised tech so much that he burnt humanity's one true solution to the ground. Did he know that at the time of doing it? No, but did that really change anything? After the ordeal, Ilian was put into lockup and was to wait until Kane could find time to speak to him. It was believed that he used Octavia's stabbing as an excuse to get inside Arkadia to do his dirty work: starting a fire in the server room, which quickly spread despite both Octavia and Niylah's attempts to stop him.

It all became a blur after the fire was out, and it was safe to be near and eventually return inside Arkadia. Nothing ever seemed to slow down, not even when Kane had received a radio call from Abby requesting the remaining barrels of hydrazine. The older woman had explained that Raven had discovered a rocket inside Becca's lab and that the only way for the two to make Nightblood was in a Zero-G environment; therefore, they had to go to space. The plan sounded downright insane to me, but it was now, in fact, the only remaining hope in surviving Praimfaya, so I didn't ask many questions.

It was early enough in the morning that it was still dark outside; with all the pandemonium going on, there was no chance to sleep during the night. Nevertheless, coming to the Chancellor's office was the first thing I did when I got the opportunity despite the lack of sleep — my priority was making sure everyone who needed help was attended to first. It was here where I found Kane alone and, just as expected, stressed about the whole situation. I was trying to pay attention to him, I really was, but my thoughts couldn't help but drift anywhere between Raven and Abby going to space to make Nightblood in a hundred-year-old rocket and what the destroyed ship meant for everyone's survival.

"Bellamy got a team together, and that team is digging up the hydrazine, and the trucks are being prepared to load the fuel on the back of them." As Kane sputtered, his words jumbled together, I couldn't help a saddened look come on my face. "And you ensured everyone who needed medical attention got it, right?"

From where he stood, his hands resting on the table in front of him, Kane looked up at me with round eyes, and I responded, "Yes, Kane. Everything is taken care of."

The man let out a deep sigh, his head lolling back down before leaning his back against the table with his arms crossed, looking over to where I sat on the desk with one hand in my lap, the other holding the pendant. Kane observed my actions as I fiddled with the necklace between my fingers, taking a moment to just look at me — how a parent would look at their child: tenderly and cherishing.

No one would ever be able to replace my parents — especially my dad — or their hold on my heart. They were the people that loved and looked after my brother and me when we were younger. They kept me safe and healthy, they gave me a home, and for that, I would forever be in debt to them, but now there were people that cared and loved me like they did, like Kane, who offered me a sort of security. He gave me purpose and meaning, taking me under his wing during the three months after Mount Weather. He made me feel safe and was someone who I trusted with my life — he was loyal and cared for me as if I were his own kid.