092. ꕥ Testing Limits

Pike has been Chancellor of Arkadia for a little over a week, and things have gotten worse and worse by the day. There was a complete divide in the people of Arkadia, which were the people that supported Pike and the people that don't. I wasn't sure if it was clear to anyone else, but to me, the divide was blatantly obvious.

I tried to see why standing behind Pike was so appealing — why people saw his ways were better. I was so desperate to see why because I wanted to see what Bellamy saw and why he still stood behind Pike. Bellamy was, in his own way, trying to avenge for what happened at Mount Weather, but after all this time, part of me hoped he'd see the right way by now. There had to be some logical explanation besides the fact that Pike was manipulating people. After thinking about it for numerous days now, the only conclusion I have reached was that there was none. There was really no logical reason why standing behind Pike was better — there just wasn't one.

As Miller, Kane, and I walked the hallways of the Ark, I wasn't entirely sure what we were doing. All I knew was that Kane asked me to meet him and Miller, and that's exactly what I did. But as we continued to walk, I realized that we were heading in the direction of the Chancellor's office.

"Should I keep watch?" I asked as we approached the door of what used to be Abby's office.

"No, it's okay." Kane shook his head before looking from me to Miller. "You both step aside in case someone answers."

"I told you, no one's home." Miller said quietly but nonetheless stood off to the side of the door alongside me as Kane knocked on the door and waited to see if there was an answer. It was odd seeing Kane break the law because he, especially when the Ark was in space, was someone who enforced it as though his life depended on it.

My neck craned to my right, turning my head to Miller as he began to laugh quietly to himself. Kane had heard him too because he turned back to the younger man and asked with a tested expression on his face, "What?"

Miller shrugged as he fought back a grin. "Bet you didn't think we'd be breaking the law together when you arrested me on the Ark, huh?"

I saw the irony in the situation — hell, I was kind of in the same position as Miller, and his comment would have me smiling if it weren't for Kane reaching hastily and grabbing the collar of Miller's jacket. The action had the both of us jumping slightly before Kane said in a slightly irritated tone, "This isn't a game, Nate. If we don't find out what Pike's up to, more people will die."

"Then let's not get caught." Said Miller firmly,  nodding when Kane released his grip on his jacket. The older man proceeded to punch in the code to open the door. The keypad beeped several times before the door was released open, letting a sigh of relief leave my lips. Miller looked across at me, "See? Easy."

"Okay, Theif." I teased Miller, gaining a small smile from the boy in return as I playfully nudged his shoulder.

I looked down the hallway that the three of us had just come down before turning back to Kane, who opened the door. But my heart dropped a little when we heard a man's voice say, "Chancellor Pike, glad to see you."

"Hey." Kane caught Miller's attention before holding out a small circular device which I could only assume its purpose was to relay information to us on the radio. "You put this somewhere smart, out of sight. We'll buy you some time."

Kane peered at me as I let out a tiny breath of air in annoyance, hoping he missed that tone. I didn't want to be around Pike voluntarily; I had managed to avoid him, Hannah, and as much as I hate to say it, Bellamy, the past week. But I didn't have a choice as Kane grabbed my arm, and we were on the move yet again to find Pike and buy Miller some time. When we rounded the corner, coming face to face with Pike and Bellamy was when I realized I should've pushed to stay with Miller planting the bug.