055. ꕥ Growing Relationships

Finn and Clarke had left to go and try to stop the Grounder war

Finn and Clarke had left to go and try to stop the Grounder war. Clarke had said that she would offer the Grounders the way to heal Reapers in exchange for peace. There was only a teeny issue with that; we didn't actually know if we could save Lincoln. She also said that she and Finn would come back with Abby to hopefully save Lincoln. Clarke had confidence that she could do it, but I knew it wasn't a guarantee. Which meant it wasn't a guarantee Clarke would stop the Grounder war. 

I sat with my back against the wall with my legs tucked to my chest as I stared at Lincoln and Octavia. She was lying on the ground next to Lincoln, getting some well-needed rest. Nyko was in the same spot; he hadn't moved one bit.

Through all that had happened, I didn't even notice it had become dark outside. There was so much going on that I just didn't even realize it, and it was still dark. Now with just the one lamp on, I could barely see the other side of the level.

Bellamy sat next to me and cleaned the small cut on my head. I let out a slight hiss in pain as he dabbed a cloth with alcohol on it against my cut. "That hurt." My tone was trying to be light-hearted, but it wasn't.

Bellamy gave me a small smile. "Sorry."

I watched as Bellamy pulled his arm away, removing the cloth from my head as I let a small sigh of relief. He adjusted himself, so he was sitting next to me, his back was against the wall, and his legs were outstretched. Something was bugging Bellamy, I could tell. He had this expression on his face that I couldn't quite decipher — it was like there wasn't just one emotion on his face. His eyes were on Octavia as I stared at the side of his face wondering what was going on in that head of his.

I knew it was probably a stupid question to ask, but I did anyway. "Are you okay?"

Slowly, Bellamy took his eyes off Octavia, and they met mine. "I'm worried about Octavia."

"I know." I nodded my head. "But like I said, Octavia's strong. She'll get through this."

Bellamy's eyes flickered over to the sleeping girl. "I wish I knew how to help her."

"Just be here for her." I told him. "She just needs you to be here. She needs her big brother."

As Bellamy let out a sigh, he turned his head back to Octavia and again I watched him. His face was swollen slightly from the beaten Lincoln had given him, and there was slight bruising on his cheek. I knew it had to hurt, but Bellamy didn't seem phased by it. His face again settled on the expression that seemed to have a thousand emotions running through it.

Eventually, Bellamy turned back to me, and that's when I realized that I had been staring at him the whole time. A small amount of heat tried to make its way onto my face; I tried to fight it but ultimately failed.

I decided to bring something else up that had been plaguing my mind. My voice was quiet as I spoke. "Why, when we were fighting Lincoln and when Nyko was attacking Finn, why did you pull me back? Why did you not want me to help? Why were you being so protective? I can take care of myself."