090. ꕥ A Bit Of Solace

When I heard that Thelonious Jaha was back at Arkadia and in Medical, it was safe to say I was sprinting there

When I heard that Thelonious Jaha was back at Arkadia and in Medical, it was safe to say I was sprinting there. Jaha and my brother had left over four months ago, and now all of a sudden, Jaha was back. Let's just say it had me wanting to get to Medical faster than I ever wanted to.

I've been trying to move past John leaving for a while now, and I felt like I was just getting there. With Jaha back, all that went down the drain as there was now a sliver of a possibility that my brother could be alive. If Jaha made it, there was a chance John did too. Even if he wasn't alive, Jaha might be able to give me some closure. He could tell me whether John was alive or not and perhaps how he died. Though I'd much rather prefer the former option, I just wanted any kind of answers about my brother.

My presence didn't go unnoticed by the sick Grounders and Jackson as I burst into Medical with hasty steps. I looked around with my head on a swivel looking for Jaha. I'd never thought it would be this relieving to see Jaha, but here I was. He was sitting in one of the beds, and Abby stood in front of them as they were talking.

Abby's head turned to me, and she immediately backed away slightly, seeming to know what I was thinking. I stormed over to Jaha with my eyes locked on him as I asked, "Where is he?"

A small smile came upon Jaha's face when he looked over to me. "Joanna Murphy. It is good to see you."

"Where is he, Jaha?" I demanded with a stern tone, inching closer to Jaha. "Where is he? Where is John? He left with you. Is he alive? Dead?"

Jaha paused for a moment before nodding and replying, "He's alive."

I could not even begin or even comprehend the happiness that started to flood through my body. My brother was alive. Sure, I had no idea where he was or what he was doing, but he was alive, and right now, that was all that mattered to me. It had me brightened up, even with all the current events going on around me. My brother, after four months of trying to find some city in the wilderness, was somehow alive.

A smile made its way into my lips, and my facade was much calmer as I spoke this time. "Well, where is he?"

Jaha just shook his head with the same small smile that was still on his face. "Don't worry about John Murphy. That boy is a fighter."

Even though it wasn't the answer I really wanted, I did accept it as Abby took her chance to come back up to us. "And the others? You left with twelve people Thelonious."

Jaha didn't get a chance to respond as his eyes caught on something. Both Abby and I turned our heads to see Kane coming up to the three of us. I noted that he wasn't wearing his guard's jacket, which meant Pike must've gone through with reliving Kane and Lincoln. It looked weird seeing Kane without it, and it probably felt just as wired for him. I know it feels different for me. I put on my green jacket that was still lying in mine and Bellamy's quarters; even if I loved this jacket, it just didn't feel the same.

"Kane." Java breathed it as he stood up and walked over to the man. The two men embraced in a hug for a moment, and that's when I saw Jaha was wearing an odd-shaped backpack that had my eyebrows furrowing.

"Welcome home, my friend." Said Kane as they pulled away from the hug.

"Where's your uniform?" Abby spoke up, appearing to have noticed the same thing I did.

"Pike just relieved me of my command. Stripped Lincoln of his commission." Kane's eyes went over to me, and he seemed to notice that I was lacking in the same thing he was. He pointed to me and asked, "Joanna?"

I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Pike did the same to me. Only after trying to convince me to come over to his side."

Kane gave me a look of sympathy because he knew how much the job meant to me before turning back to Jaha. "You always did have good timing."

"Abby caught me up." Said Jaha. "I'm sorry about the election, Marcus."

"Forget the election." Kane dismissed. "The war you predicted the day you left is about to happen."

"Ask him where he's been." Abby told Kane, nodding to Jaha.

Everyone's heads turned to the man, who seemed very gleeful with himself. "I found the City of Light."

By the tone in Abby's voice, I didn't really know if this was a good thing or a bad thing. Kane seemed to have the same dilemma as it showed on his features. "Well, that's great. Isn't it?"

"Asked his friend, Otan." Abby gestured over to where a body bag lay with a figure beneath it. It only had me become more confused as to what was going on. "Apparently, he's there right now."

"I don't blame you for doubting, Abby. I know how it sounds. But it is real, and it is incredible. Everything that you worry about now, war, power, none of it matters in the City of Light."

"Is that where John is?" I quizzed, and honestly, I didn't know what I wanted the answer to be. Jaha obviously wasn't right in the head — more so than usual — so it had me wondering what he was going to say.

"No. John's not in the City of Light." Jaha sighed before he answered, looking over to me. "But as I said, don't worry about your brother. He'll be alright."

If I wanted to say anything else, I couldn't because Hannah came up to the four of us. Her eyes were only on Jaha as she spoke. "I heard you were back, sir."

Hannah stuck her hand out to shake Jaha's hand; they shook hands as the latter said, "And I heard you made it, Hannah. I'm so glad."

The small smile that was on Hannah's face quickly faded before she said, "Chancellor Pike would like to speak with you."

"We'll finish this later." Jaha told the two adults before following Hannah out of Medical.

The only thing I could do was blink at the man as I tried to comprehend all he had just told me. My brother was alive, which I was overjoyed about, but what he said about the City of Light seemed crazy. It was almost humorous what he said, and it had me biting my lip so I wouldn't smile. He was babbling about some fake city that sounded like it was just this perfect place to live in, and I didn't believe it for one second.