102. ꕥ T Is For Trust

Bellamy had been deliberately avoiding me ever since Monty, Octavia, and I had gotten back from the Dropship. Whether that be he wouldn't meet my eyes, or he wouldn't stand beside me or talk to me, Bellamy was doing everything in his power to have as little contact with me as possible, and I had no idea why.

He was only able to get in a few glances every so often, given that he was driving, but every time he looked at me, I could tell from where I sat in the passenger seat. I could feel his eyes on me, but whenever I caught him in the act, he would immediately divert his gaze back to the path ahead. Still, he would just continuously look over at me, and the more he did it, the more confused it made me.

The morning light shone brightly through the bared windshield of the Rover, the light blinding me constantly. One of my legs was pulled to my chest, foot planted on the seat as my chin rested on my knee, listening to Raven ogle over the journal Clarke had along with her chip.

"Becca's journal is amazing." She breathed, sitting in the back seat in between Clarke and Monty. "At twenty-six, she found a pathway to access a human mind. That same year, she had to lock up ALIE, because her answer for what was wrong with the world was 'too many people'. She was twenty-seven when it launched the bombs."

"Solving your 'too many people' problem by blowing up the world." I mumbled as my head lulled to the side, exhaustion attempting to take over my body. "Seems perfectly reasonable."

"What did she write about the Flame?" Clarke asked.

"ALIE two-point-oh." Raven answered, looking at the blond and pricking my ears, prompting me to turn around in the passenger seat and listen more closely to the conversation. "She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. She designed it to not just access a human mind, but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out because it would be one of us. She would put it in herself first. Altered her genes so her body wouldn't reject the implant."

"Bekka Pramheda, the first Commander." Said Clarke. "The gene therapy made her blood black, didn't it?"

"Yeah." Raven answered.

Octavia knitted her brows, looking at Clarke. "How did you know that?"

"Nightblood." She explained. "That's where it came from. Somehow it became hereditary. Luna has it. That's why we have to find her. If she can access ALIE-two..."

"She can tell us how to stop ALIE-one." Octavia finished.

"Bekka Pramheda gets her second shot at atonement." Sinclair remarked dauntingly.

"Get back to the mind pathway." Monty spoke up for the first time, continuing to study the chip in his hand that he had been the entire ride. "If ALIE uses it to upload our minds it the City of Light, then there's a chance my Mom's still alive."

Raven gave him a sorrowful look. "That depends on your definition of 'alive'.

I looked sadly back to Monty, who had been struggling ever since we returned from the Dropship. There was no way I was expecting Monty to be okay after what had happened but seeing him and what it had done to him made me heartbroken. This was the lowest I have ever seen him, and it was an unusual and unpleasant sight to witness.

"Eyes sharp. Weapons hot. We're almost home." Bellamy announced, not taking his eyes off the road as I turned back in my seat, staring at him. It was the same thing that had been going on this entire ride: him barely even acknowledging I was there. He brought the radio up to his mouth before speaking into it. "Miller, come in." Static. "Harper, you there? Your ride's two minutes out."

There was nothing but silence coming from their end of the radio, making a small pit in my stomach form, worrying about our friends we left behind. We had only been gone just about a day, but a lot can happen in a day, and I was worried that the silence wasn't a good sign.