071. ꕥ A Low Point

When John left, it was just one step closer to my world falling apart

When John left, it was just one step closer to my world falling apart. The anger and hurt raged against each other. I was furious at John for abandoning me — I still needed him even if he thought I didn't — and I hated that he left nothing other than a note. It enraged me.

But I also got why he left — I really do. He felt useless here; he thought there was no place for him, not even with me. I felt horrible for that — that he believes that he doesn't fit in here with me. It had me heavy-hearted to think about how John would instead go out and risk his life finding some fake city than stay here where he doesn't fit in but could be safer.

Somehow I made my way through the Ark and outside. It was dark, and all the lights illuminated the camp. It was a somewhat peaceful sight if you really think about it. The moon shined right over us; I was pretty sure it was full, which made it that much more beautiful. Everyone was doing their own thing, not paying any mind to their surroundings. They have no idea of the chaos, mayhem, and full-out stressful situation that is going on at Mount Weather.

Some did, of course. Those included the parents of the kids inside Mount Weather. To me, it was easy to pick out those parents. They were people who didn't have the look of joy on their faces. They were the people who didn't seem totally thrilled that they were on the ground. One could pick out the parents who seemed stressed. They seemed like nothing was ever going to be okay as long as their kid was inside that Mountain.

David Miller was a prime example. He was on one of the patrols walking the perimeter of Camp Jaha. He had a troubled look on his face, way more distinct than any other parents. He was so worried about Miller, and it physically pained me to think about what he was going through. Knowing that your child's in danger and there was nothing you could do to stop it must feel dreadful.

My head shook, trying to rid my brain of those thoughts. I came out here to get a clear head, not fill myself with more pain.

I ended up finding a quiet place leaning against the Ark. My back was pressed against it with my legs outreaches inform of me. It wasn't completely silent where I was, but it was quiet enough for me to close my eyes and get some sleep.

❣︎

I wasn't quite sure where I was. It was somewhere with an endless amount of nothing. It was a dessert — that's where I was. Nothing was around me other than the beading sun and sand.

At least, that was what I thought until I turned around and was met with the face of my brother.

"John?" He didn't look over at me. I didn't even know if he knew I was here. Was he real? "John!"

He was off in the distance and led a group of people with Jaha following right behind him. It must've been the group that Jaha said he was taking in the note Abby had. So was this the Dead Zone Jaha had mentioned? Was this where they were? Were they really in the middle of nowhere? Was John still alive?