063. ꕥ Tensions Run High

Having the Grounders come into the Ark wasn't something I was totally thrilled about, but I didn't have a say in it, so that's exactly what was going to happen.

My brother and I were in the room where the oncoming meeting would occur. John was slouched with his back against the wall next to me, with a cup in his hand. I was in the same position but with my arms crossed.

Kane had informed everyone that he wanted our people at the meeting with the Grounders. He said that it would make it seem like we could work together by being in the same room. If you asked me, that was a stupid thought process. Having the Grounders in a confined space with their ex-enemy didn't sound like a good idea to me.

My attention was pulled when the Grounders came through the door. Indra led them with her head held high, deadly eyes glancing around. They all were unarmed, which satisfied my nerves a little, but I knew they could still kill us with their bare hands if they really wanted to. I nudged my elbow into John's shoulder and nodded toward them. He looked up from his cup and stared at the Grounders. My eyes were dancing between all the Grounders, just waiting for one of them to try something.

Kane stepped into the room and ordered, "Quiet down." I watched with narrowed eyes as he directed Indra towards the middle of the room. "I know we don't have a lot in common. But we do have a common enemy... and a common goal. And for us to reach it, to get our people out of Mount Weather, we need to work together." He turned his head to Indra. "Ogeda. Skaikru and Trikru."

As Kane kept going on and on, a Grounder came up to John and me; he didn't pay me any attention; he just had his eyes set on John, who didn't cower at his stares. "You got a problem?"

The Grounder started speaking in Trigedaslang. I couldn't tell what it was, but I could tell that this man was mad and wanted vengeance.

My brother mockingly said, "I'm sorry, man. I don't speak Grounder."

The Grounder smacked the cup in John's hands out of them and sent the contents all over me. "Hey!"

John wasted no time in standing up and pushing the Grounder back, gaining everyone in the room's attention. My brother and the Grounder were having a full-on stare down.

"Mr. Murphy." Kane called. "Apologize to that man."

John's eyes didn't leave the Grounder's. "For what? He was the one who came up to me."

"Two days' work detail." Kane punished, and my jaw dropped at what he said.

"Work detail?" My brother finally took his eyes off the Grounder and looked to Kane. "I just told you I didn't—"

"Care to make it three?" Kane challenged, raising his voice.

"What? John didn't do anything." I finally spoke before my angered eyes went to the Grounder. "He started it."

My eyes went back to Kane as he spoke. "Ms. Murphy, unless you want to join him, I suggest you stay quiet."

My jaw was clenched as I stared at the Grounder. John ended up doing the smart thing and started walking away, but when the Grounder muttered, "You're gonna burn just like your friend," that irked a nerve in both John and me. John sent his fist flying into the Grounder's face, and a brawl broke out.

I jumped into action and tried to get in between my brother and the Grounder, but it was no use. More people kept getting in my way and pushing me back. Everyone was shouting, I could hear Kane yell at my brother to stop, and I just wanted to punch him. I kept trying to fight to push people out of my way, but they just kept getting back.

What I had predicted came to pass, there was a freakin' fight, and my brother was in the middle of it.

❣︎