010. ꕥ Something In The Air

Wells had died just about a week ago. He was killed just outside the wall while on watch. The Grounders killed him. My heart ached. I didn't know him that well, but he didn't deserve to die. No one does. Everyone in camp was on edge because of the fact Wells was killed.

My brother especially. He still seemed off; he was way more on edge than usual. Throughout the early morning, he kept ordering people around who were trying to build the wall. I got that we need it, and we should get it done as quickly as possible, but John didn't have to get down people's throats about it. When I finally had enough of it, I went in the Dropship to find Monty to see if I could be of any help.

"So you haven't been able to get a wristband to be still functional after you take it off, right?" I asked Monty standing next to him at his little workstation.

"Right. The whole circuitry of the wristband fails as soon as it comes off." He informed me.

"Have you tried connecting the wristband before it comes off someone's wrist?"

"If I were to do that, then that person's hand would probably be blown off." Monty said, and I gave him an 'oh' face.

"How about if we use less force in taking it off." I offered, then an idea popped into my head. "Wait, I have an idea. I'm sure if I could look at the wristbands circuitry, I could be able to get the locking mechanism for it to stay on our wrist to fail while still keeping it operational."

"That's a great idea." Monty said, kind of praising me.

I smiled at him. "Yeah, see, I can be helpful."

We both hear someone come in the Dropship. Turning our heads, we see Clarke and Finn come in. "Hey, do you guys still need a working wristband?"

"Yeah, we do." Monty told the blond. "Jo just came up with this genius idea to try and get it to come off and still have it be able to work."

"Good. Use mine." Clarke ordered, holding out her wrist.

"You want to take your wristband off?" I asked her.

"Stop asking questions and just do it." She ordered.

"Okay, okay. Calm down, no need to get all aggressive." I said as I raised my hands in defense.

No sooner, I had the little cover of the wristbands circuitry off and was inspecting it. "Okay, so now all I have to do is cut this little blue wire, and I should be able to disable the locking mechanism of the wristband."

"How do you even know how to do this?" Finn questioned from beside Clarke.

I gave a small laugh. "When John and I were kids, I would always mess with his remote-controlled toys. I figured out how to make the controller stop controlling the truck but still make it look like it would work. And when John went to try and use the controller, it would never work. John would always get so mad, but it was so funny to me."

Nobody said anything back. I guess they can't relate to what I'm talking about. Neither Monty, Finn, or Clarke had a sibling to tease growing up. It made me realize just how lucky I am and how much I missed my childhood.

"Okay, I got it off." I announced, handing the wristband to Monty.

"Yes. You did it!" Monty exclaimed while looking over at me. "It's still operational."