076. ꕥ Worse Than Blood

Blood dripped down my head, blurring my vision from the chaos around me. Guards had taken Raven, Wick, and me to somewhere I couldn't recognize; I think it was the dorm. It was only a few moments ago when I woke up still a little disoriented, and with a pounding headache, it turns out that I have a large gash in my head with blood seeping from it. I had been slipping in and out of consciousness, only able to get flashes of what was going on around me.

My body felt so weak — exhausted from the explosion and how my body impacted the wall. There was a shooting pain in my arm. I think it might be fractured or, even worse, broken. Both of my arms were hung above my head, being held up by a pair of handcuffs attached to the stone wall my back was leaning on. The cuffs were clamped tightly on my wrists, so much that I could feel the circulation being cut.

Full conscience had finally been restored to my body, allowing my eyes to dart all around the room to see an utterly horrifying sight. It made me sick to my stomach — so sick to my stomach that I threw up in my mouth. There was a table directly in front of me with a person barely alive on it; only small groans were coming from his mouth as a man drilled into his leg. They were getting bone marrow. That's the horrific scene going on in front of me; they were killing for bone marrow.

All my friends were standing around me in the same position I was: with their hands handcuffed to the wall above their heads. Miller was the first face I recognized, along with Abby, Kane, David Miller, and Monroe. My eyebrows twitted together at seeing those four people. Two of them, Abby and Kane, were — as far as I knew — at Tondc, or they were supposed to be heading home. And the other two, they were supposed to be at the front lines with Clarke drilling into Mount Weather's door. Seeing them meant something went terribly wrong with the plan.

My curious eyes pried away from them as they scanned over the room to land on Harper. I swear, my eyes almost popped out of their sockets. She was here, alive. It had always been in the back of my mind that she could be dead, and it was such a relieving feeling to know that she was alive.

Movement to my right pulled my attention from Harper and to who was next to me: Raven. Dry was blood covering her entire face; it probably looked similar to mine.

"Raven." My voice was weak, barely auditable for her to hear. "Raven."

Raven only gave me a concerned look. There wasn't another word spoken as the painfully loud sound of the drilling could be heard. It filled the entire room; it bounced off the walls and right into my ears. This sound was going to haunt me for a long time. It was a daunting sound, the sound of the drill hitting bone, repeatedly, over and over again. The sound burned against my ears.

I wasn't sure how long I was listening to the sound when it finally stopped causing a small sign of relief to leave my lips. My head that was dipped down, trying to divert my eyes from the table, lifted with the courage I finally mustered. The man drilling into the boy had announced that he was dead, which meant they killed another one of us. Tears pricked my eyes as they started to take the kid from the table off.

My eyes only diverted away from that scene when another guard came up to where Raven and I were. He stood directly in front of Raven as the dreaded words left his mouth. "She's next."

Protest immediately could be heard from my left where Wick was chained up; you could also hear them coming from my lips. There was no way they were going to take Raven without a fight.

When other guards came up to start unchaining Raven, she thrashed all around, refusing to let them. I, too, was whipping around, yelling and screaming that they could take me instead. That only led to a shock baton coming into contact with my stomach. A scream left my mouth as one of the guards pressed it against me. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see them doing the same thing to Raven, which resulted in her falling weak and allowing the guards to unchain her. I kept hearing Wicks yells not to take Raven, but of course, the guards weren't listening to anything we were saying.