089. ꕥ Divided

The morning sun beat down on my face as I circled the perimeter of Arkadia. It was precisely a day since Pike became Chancellor, and I've loathed every minute of it, but I didn't let that stop me from fulfilling my responsibility. Right now, I was doing what I did almost every day at this time, which was making sure that all the patrols were running smoothly. This was something I just did — no one asked me to do it, but it was something I found myself doing. In a way, it eased my conscience, knowing that the guards were patrolling when and where they were supposed to be.

Once I was done making my rounds, I started heading back towards the Ark. Only when I heard the creaking sound of the gate being opened and the people outside growing quiet was when I turn back towards the main entrance. When my eyes caught sight of ten people walking through the gate, my heart dropped to my stomach. Bellamy and other members of Farm Station walked with not a single ounce of shame. The way they looked showed what they had done; they murdered the three hundred Grounders outside our walls that were sent to protect us. This was what Pike meant when he said finishing what they had started.

"My God, look at them." Abby breathed out, but by the time the words got to my ears, they were faint. I barely even noticed Abby and Kane had come and stood beside me because I was too shocked to do anything other than stare at Bellamy.

He walked slightly ahead of the group of ten, and I watched from afar as he dismissed Octavia, who had a worried expression on her face as she looked at her brother. By the way, he moved and his facade, I could tell he seemed just like the others: tired and demented. He also seemed distant as he walked further into Arkadia, spotted in blood that was not even his own. Normally if Bellamy acted this way, I could be the first to ask him if he was okay, but right now... all I could do was stand next to Kane in stunned silence, which had quickly turned into a fury-filled silence as both my hands that were at my sides clenched into fists.

When Pike walked in following after his confederates, it only caused my fist to tighten, sending my fingernails into my palm. As the gate closed, more people began to appear with questioning looks of what exactly happened on their faces.

"Everybody, listen up." Pike announced as he stood something which made him appear taller. "Twenty-four hours ago, you elected me your Chancellor. Every action I've taken since, and every action I will take, will be to achieve one sacred goal. The creation of a self-sustaining, prosperous, and safe Arkadia." He was met with cheers from the crowd as I watched with a clenched jaw. "This morning, on a muddy field, our people paid tribute to those who have been taken from us by sending a message to the Grounders. This land is ours now! Resist and you will be met by force. Fight and you will be greeted by death. Today is a new beginning. Mark it down, remember it just like the Grounders will remember it."

The crowd cheered even more loudly, which had me looking over to Abby and Kane, who both had the same concerned expression on their face. Pike got down from where he stood and led the nine other people who assisted in murdering three hundred Grounders to the Ark. My eyes went to each of them in disgust, and when they landed in Bellamy, they lingered on him longer, disheveled that he would do something like this.

"No wounded." Abby spoke, turning her head from Kane and me to the direction where the ten people walked off. "Ten against three hundred and there's no wounded. How's that possible?"

"They're murders." My voice was thick as I spoke. "That's how. Every single one of them is murders."

❣︎

It would be a complete understatement to say that I was confused about why my name was being called over the intercom telling me to go to the Chancellor's office. All the scenarios of why ran through my head as I weaved my way through the Ark. My stomach still hadn't settled from what I had witnessed this morning, and I wouldn't lie and say it was helping that I was being called to the Chancellor's office for reasons I did not know.