125. ꕥ Goodbyes Galore

Monty led Bellamy and me through the Ark hallways filled with citizens ready to march to their new home in Polis, and upon reaching the sealed doors that led to the common room, I heard music and muffled hollers that came from inside. Jaha and a few other guards surrounded the door as one of them attempted to separate the doors with a crowbar pushing all his weight on the bar in hopes of separating them. Looking through the stained glass windows on the doors, I saw movement of people but couldn't make out any distinguishable faces — specifically, I couldn't see Jasper or Harper.

It looked like they were having some sort of party from the outside — this not having been news to me because it's been going on for days and has been growing steadily. This was where I assumed Bellamy had gotten himself drunk two nights ago, and I was thankful that he came to his senses, choosing not to stay, unlike the people inside.

When the guard, Lahey, stopped trying to use the crowbar to get the doors opened, he let out a pant as I said, "I could've told you that wasn't going to work. Those doors are air sealed tight. You'd need a bomb to break it open."

"How long have they been in there?" Bellamy asked.

"I don't know." Jaha replied, turning his head to look our way. "When I passed through earlier, and none of them had begun to start packing, I told them surviving wasn't an option. When I came back, all the doors were sealed shut."

My head returned to the doors when Lahey began to pound on the door; the only response coming from inside was the music being turned up, making me realize that they were using it to drown out the outside world. Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, Lahey attempted the pull the doors apart with his hands, which was a monumentally stupid idea. Leaning forward to gain a better advantage, I saw inside that it was primarily teenagers, people our age with cups in their hands, dancing carelessly.

Lahey grunted in defeat, trying one last desperate attempt to pry the doors open before turning to face everyone. "It's jammed. Same as the others. But this is the door to blow."

That caught my attention. "Woah. I wasn't serious about blowing the freakin' door."

Paying me no attention, Jaha inquired with his arms crossed, "How many gas canisters do we have?"

"You can't be serious." Bellamy said in disbelief.

"In Mount Weather, we beat the gas by using water. Jasper will be ready for that." Monty pointed out from beside me.

"Just slow down." Bellamy requested, moving from his spot beside me and walking closer to the doors. "Let me talk to them."

"Bellamy, we have over four hundred people ready to march." Jaha emphasized.

From where I stood, I could hear the music volume dial down slightly before Jasper could be seen through the faded windows, wandering to the doors. He was tripping over his feet, stumbling down the ramp with a humorous grin spread across his face, eyes set on Bellamy's figure through the window whilst a gun rest in his hand at his side.

"Gun." Lahey warned.

"Harper's." Monty acknowledged as he and I shared a wary look.

"How many more of them are armed?" Jaha's eyes cast over to us.

"I don't know. A few." Monty answered as my eyes caught on the window when Jasper slammed his empty palm on the glass, and in black writing written across it was three letters — DNR.

When Lahey repeated the letters, questioning what they meant, Jaha answered with fruition in his tone. "Do not resuscitate."

"It means they don't want to be saved." I added on, my expression falling as time continued.