075. ꕥ Redundancy

The last bomb was gone — broken, shattered, the liquid was seeping into the floors as we spoke. The contents could do nothing now; it couldn't blow the last turbine to help save our friends. We failed — that may be an over-exaggeration, but it's true. If we don't blow all five turbines, the power stays on; the door stays closed. To put in Raven's words, 'everyone we care about dies' if we don't blow the power.

The three of us were where we were supposed to be rigging up the last bomb to the turbine, but now we couldn't do that. I stood closest to the door with my gun in my hands in case anyone tried to come through. I knew they were going to eventually. The guard that Wick had killed already radioed in by the time of his demise, which meant guards were going to start storming this room.

Raven was crouched down in front of the junction box while Wick paced back and forth. We all were trying to come up with some way to blow this turbine, to get our job done. There had to be another way we could do this.

My eyes darted all around the room, expecting someone to come through. They were going over it once more when Raven snapped. "Wick, stop."

The man halted his pacing and crossed his arms before defending himself. "I'm not doing anything."

"Exactly." Raven fired back.

"Hey, I'm not the one who didn't make enough bombs."

"Five turbines, five bombs." Raven raised her voice before turning her head to look at Wick. "Maybe if you didn't drop the last one—"

"Oh, any engineer worth a salt knows to plan for failure." Wick claimed. "Two is one, one is none. It's called—"

"Redundancy." Both he and Raven said simultaneously, which only caused me to slightly roll my eyes.

"That's it." Raven exclaimed as she turned from Wick and me to facing the junction box. My eyes brows creased together in confusion at Raven. "Redundancy. That's it!"

"What is? What are you doing?" Wick asked, bending down closer to Raven.

Quickly, my eyes glanced over the room once more before turning my body towards them and asking Wick, "What is she talking about?"

Wick looked in my direction and only shrugged his shoulders at me before Raven answered as she was pulled out wires from the junction box. "They built more turbines than they needed. We blow four, this one will take the load. Surge protectors will ramp it down to—"

"To keep it from blowing up!" Wick finished.

"Yeah, we need to shut down this turbine, Wick." Raven smiled and nodded toward the machine.

"What the hell are you guys talking about?" I demanded, getting no clue from either of them as to what was going on.

Wick's slightly widened eyes glanced in my direction before going back to Raven. "Catastrophic failure? That's your plan?"

That didn't sound like a very good plan to me. I didn't know what half the stuff they were talking about meant, but I knew what catastrophic failure meant, and that was apparently what we had resorted to. My heart was now pounding against my ears, with my face covered in anxiety.

Raven's face fell before she rushed out, "Okay, when you say it like that, it doesn't sound like such a good idea."

Wick thought about it for just a moment before starting to run off. "I'll set the detonators."