053. ꕥ Lincoln... The Reaper

There was a gloom outside. The sky was grey, no amount of sunshine leaked through the clouds.

I stood with my brother amongst a very anxious crowd of people that had gathered outside the Ark. Everyone was waiting for Abby or Jaha to come out and say something. When we returned, news of Jaha's surprise arrival spread quickly throughout the camp. The message from the Commander also spread just as quickly. People were scared and worried.

And against my better judgment, we came back to camp without Bellamy or Octavia. We just left them out there. I hated the fact that they were out there. I decided I would go out and get them if they didn't return by nightfall — I didn't care about the Grounders.

I wanted to start pacing, but I couldn't because of how crowded it was. I was anxious about everything. The fact that Bellamy and Octavia are out there, there might be a Grounder war... again. It was all becoming too much to handle.

"Jo, calm down." My brother said quietly to me. I then felt a hand wrap around my own. I glanced down to see my brother's hand wrapped around mine; I looked back up at John, who seemed to know exactly what I was thinking. "It'll be okay."

I took a deep breath in before I repeated John's words. "It'll be okay."

Finally, the door that led into the Ark opened, and Abby and Jaha emerged into my sights. My fist clenched at the presence of the man; my hatred hadn't simmered since the last time I spoke to him.

The crowd quieted as they spotted Abby and Jaha. Abby was first to speak up and announce to the people, "By now, you've all heard the rumor. And unfortunately, it's true. The Grounders are coming. We have a difficult decision to make. Thankfully, Chancellor Jaha has found his way back to us. And we're discussing all options."

There was a second of silence before Jaha spoke. "But to be safe... you need to pack. Now. Whatever you can carry. We may need to leave at a moment's notice."

"Where will we go?" I turned my head to look at the man who asked the question.

"I don't know, is the answer." Jaha admitted. "But I heard of a place. A city of light. It's across the Dead Zone."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as I mumbled to John, "Do we even know if this pace is real?" In response, John just shook his head.

The same man asked, "What makes you think we'll make it there?"

"Because we made it here." Jaha answered confidently. "I have faith. And right now, given the alternative... that's good enough for me."

"Not for us." I recognized that voice. I looked over and saw Clarke. "If we leave, what happens to our people in Mount Weather?"

Jaha's face turned cold. "As your Mother said... that is a very difficult decision to make. But the time has come for each and every one of us to ask... is this how the story of our people ends? Did we come all this way just to die tomorrow? Because if we're not gone by the time that sun rises, that is exactly what will happen."

"No decision's been made." Abby spoke again in response murmurs began to flood through the crowd. "In the meantime, please report to your station supervisors for gathering emergency supplies."

With that, people started to shuffle around, getting supplies ready. I turned to face John. "Jaha sounds like he's a cult leader."

"But he's not wrong." John stated.

I furrowed my eyebrows at my brother. "What do you mean?"

My brother opened his mouth to answer but was cut off when someone called out my name.