067. ꕥ Old Roots

I sat at the end of one of the cots in Medical as Jackson patched me up. Medical had been moved from that dingy tent outside to an actual room in the Ark. It was a lot nicer here, and there was more space to store medical supplies.

Jackson was in the middle of wrapping up my arm when I quietly spoke. "How does it feel to have a real Medical on the ground instead of some tent?"

The man's only response was to smile at me — it was a warm smile. There was a moment of silence before he said, "You know, usually when people come back to Medical, it's about readdressing old wounds, not new ones."

"But I like hanging out here." My attempt to joke went amiss.

It was quiet in Medical, something I enjoyed — the silence. It was peaceful, and it allowed me to somewhat collect my thoughts on what had happened the past twenty-four hours. There were only a couple of minutes of it before chaos erupted.

"Jackson!" It was Abby's voice that I heard. "We've got two patients. You get the radiation burns, I've got the gunshot wound."

Jackson wasted no time getting up and rushing to the door where two stretchers were being brought in. Abby led the way with a Grounder on the stretcher, while Clarke was behind her with another person on a stretcher with a hazmat suit.

"Set him down." Jackson ordered the guards that were carrying the sticker with a hazmat suit.

"I need blood. O-neg. A lot." My head snapped to Abby, who had her hands on the Grounder's bloodied chest.

"This guy's from Mount Weather." My head snapped back over to Clarke and the hazmat suit guy. "We'll need to keep him alive."

It perked my interest when Clarke said that this guy was from Mount Weather. I got up from my seat and walked up to the blond, trying not to get in the way as much as I could. Jackson pointed a light in the guy's face. With the mask on, I didn't know how he could see anything.

"There was a tear in his suit, but we fixed it in the field." Clarke informed.

Raven walked in and came up beside me, and Clarke's head snapped to her. "Anything from Bellamy?"

I silently prayed she would say yes, but then the dreaded word left her mouth. "No."

"Then why aren't you with the radio?" Clarke demanded.

"Octavia just took my place. How about you back off." Raven's tone was very defensive.

When Jackson went to remove the man's mask, Clarke stopped him. "No. Leave it on. It's the only thing keeping him alive."

"How can we treat a guy if we can't touch him?" Jackson asked.

"I can rig up some scrubbers in the airlock." Raven suggested. "Give me twenty minutes."
With that, Raven rushed out of Medical.

I stayed over by Clarke when Abby cursed, "Damn it. I'm losing him." Jackson went from this stretcher over to the other. "I need the blood now!"

I watched as Abby pressed Jackson's hands against the wound before pleading with the Grounder to stay alive. She told him to fight... but they lost him. Clarke and I shared a look, and when she noticed my bruised eye, I shook my head, telling her not to say anything. She understood and went back to watching the scene unfold in front of us.