113. ꕥ Pivotal Decisions

The dulcet sounds of Jasper Jordan singing along to the song I Don't Like Mondays that played over the Rover's speakers met my ears as soon as I walked out of the Ark. My original plan was just to walk outside and get some fresh air, but upon hearing the music, my plans changed.

I stopped just outside the entrance to the Ark, my eyes scanning the scene in front of me, seeing that people were lounging back. They were having a drink, laughing with friends, and kids were passing a soccer ball around. My lips turned up, watching the kids play, seeing them in their youthfulness, having no worries in the slightest.

With Raven not allowing me to do anything, the vast majority of my day has been spent thinking and worrying. Bellamy plagued my mind, just hoping that he was okay, along with wondering how things were going. I worried for my friends in the Ice Nation, hoping that they get that generator but praying that they'd make it home safe above all. And the thinking part consisted a lot of the baby, just various thoughts running through my head about them.

My left hand had made its way onto my stomach, pressing gently as I watched the kids playing and whispered, "You see that? That's gonna be you one day. I promise."

Moving my gaze past the children, they landed on Clarke and Jasper, the two seemingly having a heated conversation based on Clarke's stature towards Jasper. My guess being that it had something to do with these people not working. I watched the encounter until Jasper had walked away from the blond and to the Rover, standing with one foot inside, hanging out the open driver's side door, raising his cup to Clarke, who stormed away towards my direction.

I decided to meet her in the middle, making my way across the grass until I reached Clarke, holding out a hand to stop her from going further. "Clarke, come on."

In my head, I had a pretty good idea about what Clarke and Jasper were talking about. Ever since we got back from Polis, Jasper has had little to no interest in trying to save everyone, and he had made it pretty apparent to everyone that he didn't really care. My thought process was So what? He can do whatever the hell he wants, but unfortunately, I knew Clarke didn't see it that way.

"No." Clarke refused in a whisper-shout, pulling her arm from my grip. "These people need to be working, and Jasper blaring music doesn't help."

I blinked back at Clarke for a moment. "You can't expect people to be working twenty-four seven without a viable reason, Clarke. I'm not saying that you should just tell them, but you can't expect them to work like their life depends on it if they don't know it really does."

"As soon as Bellamy gets back with that generator, they will know their life depends on it." Clarke said in a fiery tone.

"Yeah, so until then, let them do what they want to do." I told her. "After this, it'll be six straight months of non-stop working. Let them have one afternoon."

"And the volunteers? Should I go tell them to stop working, so they can have an afternoon of relaxing?" Clarke challenged, her eyes narrowed at me as if she was testing to see what I'd say.

"Clarke, they are volunteers. That's exactly what they did. Volunteer. These people didn't. So give them a little freedom before you start ordering them around, okay." With my final words being said to the blond, I walked away back into the Ark, deciding I had gotten enough fresh air.

❣︎

When I spotted the cargo truck slowly pulling in through the gate of Arkadia, I jogged my way down from the entrance of the hangar bay, coming to an abrupt halt when seeing a dozen people being helped off the back. By the hood, Bryan and Miller were discussing something, and Harper was by the well beginning to hand the people some water in cups, sending me a soft smile between pours of water. Bellamy was at the end of the truck extending a hand out to an older man and helping him off the truck.