127. ꕥ The Start Of Something

After Gaia announced that the first two champions had fallen, all heads turned to the Flamekeeper scout, that had begun to walk between the two lines of candles — each candle representing a different clan's warrior. If the flame was lit, the warrior was alive; if not, they had fallen. I swallowed a lump in my throat, feeling Bellamy's hand squeeze my own, his worries about his sister growing more by the minute. Gaia declared that Ingranronakru's warrior had fallen, but that didn't diminish Bellamy's grip on my hand or his worries, and I knew they truly wouldn't until the conclave was over and Octavia had won like I knew she was going to. As the Flamekeeper Scout had walked down between the two lines of candles, Bellamy pleaded that it wouldn't be our flame put out.

It was bittersweet when it was announced that Trikru was the second clan that had fallen. It meant that Octavia hadn't been killed, and Skaikru's chance at surviving Praimfaya grew a little greater. However, it was an utterly saddening sight watching Gaia break from where she stood as Flamekeeper and move across to her Mother, the two embracing in a tight hug. My sorrowful eyes were watching Indra and Gaia as they wept into each other's arms, the Mother of the two accepting that she would not be able to save her daughter — the sight alone had me very close to tears. After a moment of sadness with her Mother, Gaia put on a strong facade, returning to her post on the balcony overseeing the conclave below.

It was a few hours into the conclave, and I had remained in pretty much the same place between Kane and Bellamy, the latter of the two having moved from his spot occasionally, talking with some of the other Ambassadors while Bellamy and I had kept out place routed in front of our candle. I wished I could subside the fears swirling around in Bellamy's head about his sister but woefully, I knew nothing I could say would do that.

"Octavia's still out there." Kane noted, hopefulness afflicting his tone.

"Couldn't tell her I loved her, even with the world ending." Bellamy croaked out.

This drew me out of the depressed trance I was in watching the people of the first two clans that had fallen accept that they were going to die, my eyes dragging up to wander around Bellamy's face. He was in a trance of his own, seeming more dazed, looking anywhere that wasn't where Kane or I stood. I could tell by his facade that he wanted to be alone, and I couldn't blame him — I, too, wanted to be anywhere but this throne room where Ambassadors surrounded us, hoping for the deaths of other clan's warriors.

"Trust me, Bellamy, she knows. She knows." Kane consoled Bellamy in a whisper.

Bellamy looked distraught as he said, "I should've told her."

As he moved away, all I could do was stand there and watch him go, unable to say anything or proceed to go after him as he made his way onto the balcony disappearing from my sight. I blinked blankly, watching him go — this situation has been one tiring and draining task for everyone involved. I remained beside Kane, my shoulder leaning against his, choosing to give Bellamy his needed time alone on the balcony.

"Did you mean what you said before?" Kane suddenly wondered, my brows creasing into confusion until he further elaborated. "What you said to Jaha. That we should be worried about if Octavia will save Skaikru."

I let out a breath, pushing myself off Kane's shoulder, simply shrugging. "That choice is up to Octavia. But it wouldn't surprise me if she chooses differently."

The older man dipped his head down, a condemnable expression taking over his features, but Kane spoke quietly before I could question it. "I am sorry for what happened to you and her as children."

Kane's words held a genuine apologetic aspect to them, telling me he regretted his actions, but it was unnecessary because I didn't blame him. Sure Kane was on the council that enforced the laws, including the one about having a second child, but he was only trying to save our people. As long as I've known Kane, that has been his goal, so I couldn't blame him for doing what he thought was right, even if his actions weren't necessarily good.