Daleks In Manhatten

{"Ugh, can't we have one easy adventure?"}

When I had woken up from my long nap, Theta and I had an even longer talk. He cleared things up, letting me know what he was finally feeling and honestly I was more than relieved because now all I needed to worry about was the little one growing inside me.

And making sure Theta stays alive.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

The Tardis materialises in one of the corners of an eleven pointed Army base exterior wall. "Where are we?" Martha asked as we all stepped out, Theta back in his blue suit after insisting he needed a change. Saying that it was better for me and him if we tried to move on together.

"Ah, smell that Atlantic breeze. Nice and cold. Lovely. Martha, have you met my friend?" She turns around and looks up, her eyes widen causing me to look back with her. "Is that? Oh, my God. That's the Statue of Liberty." She laughed in joy and awe, "Gateway to the New World. Give me you tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free." I told her as I placed a hand on her shoulder.

"That's so brilliant. I've always wanted to go to New York. I mean the real New York, not the new, new, new, new, new one." Martha laughed before raising an eyebrow to make a point, I smirked towards her. "Well, there's the genuine article. So good, they named it twice. Mind you, it was New Amsterdam originally. Harder to say twice. Now wonder it didn't catch on. New Amsterdam, New Amsterdam." I explained to her as she nodded along with me. "I wonder what year it is, because look, the Empire State Building's not even finished yet."

"Work in progress. Still got a couple floors to go, and if I know my history, that makes the date somewhere around" Martha picks up a copy of the New York Record which is lying on a bench. "November first 1930." She told us causing Theta to nod, "You're getting good at this." He commented not paying attention to the newspaper she grabbed. "Eighty years ago." He finally turns, noticing the paper she was holding. "It's funny, because you see all those old newsreels all in black and white like it's so far away, but here we are. It's real. It's now. Come on then, you. Where do you want to go first?" Martha asked us, handing the paper to him. "I think our detour just got longer." We both lean over to read with him, "Hooverville Mystery Deepens. What's Hooverville?"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

Music changes to Putting on the Ritz. "Herbert Hoover, thirty first President of the USA, came to power a year ago. Up till then New York was a boom town, the Roaring Twenties, and then." He spoke as we walked along, our hands intertwined together with Martha on my side so I was in the middle. "The Wall Street Crash, yeah? When was that, 1929?" Martha asked leaning down slightly to look around me at him. "Yeah. Whole economy wiped out overnight. Thousands of people unemployed. All of a sudden, the huddled masses doubled in number with nowhere to go. So, they ended up here in Central Park." I explained to her as we made our way into Central Park. "What, they actually live in the park? In the middle of the city?"