The Lazarus Experiment

{"Is it just me or is he ugly either way?"}

The Tardis lands, and Theta puts on the hand brake. "There we go. Perfect landing. Which isn't easy in such a tight spot." Martha smirked and nudged me, "You should be used to tight spots by now. Where are we?" She teased causing me to chuckle, "The end of the line. No place like it." Martha goes outside, The Tardis is next to the clothes horse. "Home. You took me home?" She asked in disagreement and sadness, I tried to get Theta to allow her for longer but he seemed keen on leaving her.

"In fact, the morning after we left, so you've only been gone about twelve hours. No time at all, really." He shrugged looking around, "But all the stuff we've done. Shakespeare, New New York, old New York?" She gapped at us, "Yep, all in one night, relatively speaking. Everything should be just as it was. Books, CDs, laundry. So, back were you were, as promised." He grimaced spotting her undergarments causing her to quickly hid them. "This is it?" She asked, "Yeah, I should probably er-" I pointed as Martha's phone rings and the answering machine starts up.

"Hi, I'm out. Leave a message."

"I'm sorry."

"Martha, are you there? Pick it up, will you?"

"It's Mum. It'll wait."

"All right then, pretend that you're out if you like. I was only calling to say that your sister's on TV. On the news of all things. Just thought you might be interested."

Martha turns on the television, which was on stand by. "The details are top secret." A man spoke on the screen, "How could Tish end up on the news?" Tish is standing next to an elderly man who is making an announcement. "Tonight, I will demonstrate a device which will redefine our world."

"She's got a new job. PR for some research lab."

"With the push of a single button, I will change what it means to be human."

"Professor! Professor!"

Martha puts the TV back on standby, "Sorry. You were saying we should?" She paused watching him as he silently stared at the tv. "Yes, yes, we should. One trip is what we said." He cleared his throat nodding to himself in agreement. "Yeah. I suppose things just kind of escalated."

"Mmm. Seems to happen to him a lot." I muttered lowly, "Thank you. For everything." Martha hugged us tightly, "It was my pleasure." Theta goes back into the Tardis, and it dematerializes. Martha stares at me in shock as I smile and do a countdown from three, then it materializes again. "No, I'm sorry. Did he say he was going to change what it means to be human?"

I smiled an grabbed Martha's hand pulling her into the Tardis to change into something formal.