Chapter 3

-

I gasped for air as my knees hit the floor, my head pounding from the punches I had been dealt and my throat sore from the strangulation.

"Hey! How did you get out of the prison? What happened?"

I looked over to the Asian man in the corner of the room after the door slammed shut behind me, leaving us alone.

I crawled over to the other wall and rested against it as I tried to catch my breath.

"Breathe. You're okay." The man whispered.

"Who.. are you?" I asked, taking another deep breath.

"Glenn. Me and Rick found you outside of the fence." He answered.

"Maggie.. your girlfriend, she's back with your people. They traded." I explained, resting my head against the wall.

"Thank God." He sighed, putting a hand to his head.

"You have to get out of here. Brian said he was using you at the arena tonight." I stated.

"The arena?" He inquired.

"They will force you to fight someone with walkers in the arena in front of everyone here. It's a sick game." I replied, noticing his already swollen face.

"Do you know how I can get out of here?" He questioned. I sighed and glanced up at the ceiling. I glanced down at my watch before pulling my knife from my boot.

"Once your out of this building, go down this way and get to the west wall. Shift changes in twelve minutes for the guards." I explained, pointing to the left of us.

"What.. what about you?" He asked, studying my face. "You're helping me, I need to help you."

"Don't worry about it. Just get out of here and get back to your girlfriend." I ordered, handing him my knife.

"You should leave, too. We can help each other get out." He replied.

"You don't even know me." I stated.

"I know you enough to see your a selfless person. You gave me your own weapon and you came to the prison yesterday to warn us." He whispered.

"Go, Glenn. You don't have much time." I ordered.

"Come on." He demanded.

"Go. Go while you can get out. If I can manage, I'll leave when I find the right time." I whispered.

He walked to the door before turning and looking to me.

"It's okay." I whispered, forcing a small smile.

"I feel bad." He replied.

"Go! Go get to Maggie. She needs you." I demanded. He nodded before slowly turning the door knob.

Minutes after Glenn's departure, I could hear Brian and Martinez talking outside of the holding room. Hearing the door knob move, I quickly slumped over in the floor to pretend to be asleep.

"Jessica, we need to talk." Brian declared, walking into the room.

"Jessica!" Brian yelled. I quickly rose up from the floor and leaned my back against the wall.

"What?" I asked.

"About tonight— wait, where's Glenn?" He asked, glancing around the room.

"He's right there.." I answered, pointing to where Glenn was. "Oh." I muttered, pretending I had just noticed he was missing.