Chapter 28

-

I lifted my shirt and examined my stomach through the mirror, eyeing the inflamed skin and stitches above my belly button.

After dabbing the area with a wet washcloth, I fanned the area with my hand before gently applying antibiotic ointment around the wound.

I sighed and looked at myself in the mirror, noticing the exhaustion in my eyes. I eyed the puffiness around my eyes and lips before stepping away from the mirror and leaving the bathroom.

The thought of Rick and Jessie more then friends bothered me. The thought of him opening up to her bothered me. The thought of him looking into her eyes the way he did mine, bothered me. The thought of him just touching her skin, bothered me.

Why?

This is my fault. I let myself get too close to him. I let myself develop feelings for him. I let myself get hurt.

How stupid am I for even thinking of him more than a friend?

But how can I not think of him more than a friend by the way he looks at me, talks to me, and makes me feel cared about and protected?

What am I thinking? He cares about and protects everyone in our group. How silly am I for thinking I'm special?

I flinched, hearing soft knocks on my bedroom door. I jolted myself from my boggled mind and quickly walked over to the door.

"I'm sick." Carl stated as I opened the door.

"Sick?" I asked, my eyes quickly scanning over him.

"I threw up twice. My stomach hurts really bad." He answered before doubling over in pain.

"When did you throw up?" I asked, putting my hand around his arm and pulling him over to my bed.

"Five minutes ago." He replied, sitting down on the edge of my bed.

"Did you tell your dad?" I inquired.

"He's asleep. He was up late and I heard you and figured you was awake. I didn't want to bother you but the pain is like really bad." He answered, wincing as he placed his hands on his stomach.

I grabbed a washcloth from the bathroom and held it under the faucet before ringing the majority of the water out.

"When did the pain start?" I asked Carl as I dabbed the sweat off of his forehead.

"About twenty minutes ago." He muttered.

"Lay down, you can sleep down here." I ordered, pulling the covers back.

"I don't want to get you sick." He replied.

"I'll be okay. Don't worry about me." I ordered, pulling the covers over him after he lied down.

"Ugh." He groaned, moving into a fetal position.

"Do you need to go to the infirmary? Is the pain that bad?" I interrogated.

"It leaves after I throw up." He answered.

"Okay." I sighed, hoping he just had a stomach virus.