Chapter 35

-

"Hey." I muttered, walking by the living room.

"Can't sleep?" Rick asked as I stepped back into the doorway.

"No." I sighed.

"Something on your mind?" He inquired.

"Everything is on my mind." I replied, walking into the kitchen.

I grabbed a glass from the cupboard before taking the purified water out of the fridge.

"If you're worried about someone coming in again, don't. You don't have to worry, I'm not going to let anyone hurt you." Rick stated, stepping into the kitchen.

"I know." I mumbled, pouring water into the glass.

"I don't like the thought of you recruiting." He replied.

"Why?" I questioned.

"Because I won't know if you're safe." He answered, trailing off as he looked at me.

"I was out there for months by myself. I'll be okay, especially being with Aaron, Eric, Tara, and that other guy." I replied, taking a sip of the water.

"I don't like thinking about coming home and you not being here.. I don't like thinking about falling asleep knowing you're not across the hall.. or when I wake up, or when I need to see your smile..." He explained, circling the kitchen island as he talked.

I cleared my throat, trying to ignore the emotions I began to feel as I thought about being away from him.

"I sound like a fucking pussy, but I'm scared." He stated, looking into my eyes.

"Of what? Cooking yourself dinner?" I joked, smirking as I sat the glass down on the counter.

"You're very funny." He replied, sarcastically as a smile crossed his lips.

"I'm sorry, that was rude." I replied, trying not to laugh.

"I need you. I didn't know that I needed you until Deanna told me about you joining the recruitment team." He stated, our eyes meeting again.

"And that scares you?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. "I'll be okay, Rick. You're acting like I'm going off to war or something." I replied, moving to walk by him.

"Dammit, Jess," He cussed, slightly raising his voice as he gently put his hand around my wrist to stop me.

"What?" I asked, looking into his eyes.

"I'm in love with you." He stated, making my heart completely stop.

I looked away from him, feeling completely taken off guard as his words registered into my brain.

Love? He's in love?

With me?

"I promised myself I wouldn't let myself love again, but you snuck into my heart and I had no idea until yesterday." He explained.

I blinked, feeling my dry eyes start to tear up as he stepped away from me.

"When Deanna told me you were going to start recruiting, I felt my stomach actually drop. All I could think about the rest of the day was what she told me, then I thought about why I was so bothered.. and then I started missing you and you're not even gone yet." He rambled, taking another step away from me.

"Are you sure it's love and not just because we live together?" I asked, my throat tight as I spoke.

"I've never been more sure of anything." He answered, leaning back against the counter.