Chapter 136

-

"You're going to jail for 30 days." Rick told Dawn while glancing to me.

"What?" She asked, loudly.

I crossed my legs and leaned back in the chair while looking to Maggie who was already staring at me.

"You're joking." Dawn stated while looking to Maggie.

"You can't go around assaulting people when they say something you don't like." Maggie replied.

"So she's just getting off with nothing? She assaulted me. Shit, she put me in the hospital!" Dawn yelled.

"Self defense." Maggie stated while Dawn stood abruptly from her chair.

"It's because of who she is. I'm not stupid. She's your ex-wife, she's your best friend, and you're both protecting her," Dawn snapped while pointing to Rick then to Maggie. "Let's see what the citizens of White Oak think about favoritism." Dawn spat while walking to the door where two guards met her.

"Let her off. She was trying to defend her son." I ordered Rick.

"She was defending her son who attacked Carl and she tried to stab you." Maggie stated while furrowing her eyebrows.

"Tried." I replied while looking back to Rick.

"I was wrong. My son is the bully. For that, I apologize. As for defending myself, I will never." Dawn spat from behind me while guards began to handcuff her.

"We can use that cell on someone else. She learned her lesson." I told Rick while standing from my chair.

"Excuse me." I mumbled while sliding past one of the guards to leave.

I walked down the hall and tried to keep my head held high while I thought about how much of a shitty person I was for helping Rick cheat on his girlfriend.

"Hey! Your interviews are out there." Glenn told me while I entered the conference room.

"The two outside the door?" I asked.

"Yeah." He answered.

"I'm going to have to take the rest of the day off. I'm sick." I told him as nausea continued to raid my stomach.

"Oh, okay. Are you alright?" He inquired.

"I don't know." I mumbled while stepping to the door after him.

"I can interview them." Glenn stated while opening the door to his office.

"Okay. Thank you." I muttered before walking down the hall to leave city hall.

Once outside, I was met by Mariah and my daughters. All with bright smiles on their faces.

"Hey!" Mariah greeted while stopping in front of me.

"Hey." I replied while looking to her eyes.

"We're just dropping by to visit their daddy and drop off his favorite lunch." She stated while smiling.

"Oh." I replied while forcing a smile.

"Hi, mommy!" Judith greeted me.

"Hi, baby." I replied while she hugged me.

"Are you alright? You're really pale." Mariah mumbled while placing the back of her hand to my forehead.

"I'm actually heading home. I think I'm coming down with something." I lied while stepping away from them.

"Oh, no! Is there anything I can do?" She asked while giving me a concerned look.

"Daddy!" Judith exclaimed.