Chapter 52

-

"Glenn!" Maggie exclaimed, pointing to the end of the dirt road before taking off.

I watched as she sprinted down the road toward him where he was walking by himself. I quickly ran after her, hoping for good news about Rick.

We are only about a mile away from the Savages' campsite, and hopefully we don't have to get any closer.

"Thank God you're okay!" Maggie cried, throwing her arms around Glenn's neck.

I looked to Daryl who stepped out of the wood line before slowly making his way to me. I felt my heart sink to my toes as his tired eyes met mine.

"Was he at the camp?" I asked, dreading his response.

"We don't know where he is. There are no living Savages at the camp. But, I found this." Glenn stated, handing me a dusty Polaroid photo.

I took the photo from his hand, finding that it was a photo of me and Rick. It was the one he always kept on him. Tears immediately pooled in my eyes as I wiped the dirt off of the photo.

"Where did you find this?" I asked.

"One of the Savage assholes Daryl killed.. had it." Glenn answered, gulping after he responded.

"Take me to him." I demanded Daryl.

My heart pounded in my throat as the worst possibilities flooded my mind as I followed Daryl down the dirt road.

"Him." Daryl stated, pointing to the dead guy laying in the ditch.

I immediately remembered seeing the man at Alexandria during the attack.

"We got some info out of him. He said he was looking for Rick and then he was coming after you." Daryl explained.

"So he didn't know where Rick was either?" I inquired.

"Evidently not." Glenn replied. I sighed and glanced down at the photo before placing it in my pocket.

"Maybe he's headed to the meet-up spot then." I stated, trying to be positive.

"Let's head there. If he doesn't come by dark, we will head out first thing in the morning on a search." Glenn ordered.

I nodded my head in agreement and looked to Maggie who gave me a small, hopeful smile.

"Let's go." I ordered.

-

I looked up from the pavement, finding Tara running toward the three of us.

"What's wrong?" Maggie asked her as we reached the meet-up spot.

"Jess, he needs you." Tara stated, looking at me with concern.

"Who?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"It's Rick." She muttered, causing me to nearly have a heart attack.

My eyes scanned the area for him before finally finding him standing off by himself with his back facing everyone.

I stepped over to him and gently placed my hand on his arm as I stepped around him, scared of what may be wrong. My eyes immediately met his and my heart shattered into pieces as I studied his bloodshot eyes.