Chapter 44

-

"I want you to stay overnight for observation." Denise told me as she handed me a hospital gown.

"Be sure to take these antibiotics. It will prevent the infection. If you don't, you will get infection and it will spread and you will die." Denise continued, handing me a bottle of pills.

"Thank you." I muttered.

"Take these twice a day for five days." Denise ordered.

"Can I have Tylenol for pain or something?" I asked, wincing as I tried to raise up in the bed.

"I'll be right back." She replied as she left the room.

"Can I get you anything?" Rick inquired, looking down at me.

"No, but thanks." I sighed.

"Try and get some rest. I'll be right here." He replied.

"You don't have to stay here with me. I'm okay." I replied.

"I want to stay." He stated.

I remained silent and stared blankly at the ceiling tiles while Rick sat down beside me.

"I thought you died today." I muttered, glancing to him as I spoke.

"I know." He replied, placing a hand on my thigh.

"I never want to feel that again. I never want to be in this world without you." I stated, feeling tears pool in my eyes.

I felt a single tear fall from my eye and slide down my cheek before I quickly wiped it away.

"I heard the gunshot and I thought that was it. I thought you were gone, I thought I was in the depths of Hell again." I continued.

"I'm right here." Rick whispered, cupping my cheeks with his hands.

I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling a load of emotions flow through me as he pressed his lips to mine.

"Look at me." He ordered.

I opened my eyes, finding his incredible blue ones staring back at mine.

"I'm here, you're here... we are here. It's okay." He whispered, staring deeply into my eyes.

I nodded my head and attempted to take a deep breath to calm down.

"Got something a little better than Tylenol." Denise declared, walking into the room before stopping in her tracks. "Oh, I'm sorry—"

"No, you're fine." I stated, motioning for her to come on over to my bedside.

"Here you go." She replied, handing me a small plastic cup with a pill inside.

"Thank you." I replied.

"If you need anything, ring that bell." She ordered, pointing to the bell on the table beside my bed.

"Thank you." Rick replied, nodding to her.

"My pleasure." Denise replied.

- next day -

"You got a fever. 102.6." Rosita stated, taking the thermometer from my mouth.

"Infection?" I asked, shivering as I pulled the blanket over me.

"Possibly. I'll tell Denise and she'll be in to see you." Rosita answered, quickly leaving the room.

"Great." I muttered, pulling the blanket up to my neck as I shivered.

"Get a damp rag and Tylenol." Denise ordered Rosita as they re-entered my room.

"On it." Rosita replied, leaving the room again.