Chapter 33

TW: mentions of rape, sexual assault

-

"Well, I'm glad you came to see me. Head injuries are nothing to play with." Denise stated, shining a light in both of my eyes.

"How long has your head been hurting?" Rosita asked.

"Since the injury. About thirteen hours ago." I answered, grimacing at the light being shined in my eyes.

"Pupils are reactive." Denise muttered, turning her pen light off.

"Any nausea?" Rosita inquired.

"A little." I replied.

"Definitely suspecting you have a concussion. I want you resting. No work, no extreme socializing, no activities." Denise ordered.

I sighed, watching as she wrote down something in my chart.

"How did you fall?" Denise inquired.

"I tripped and hit the headboard on my bed." I lied.

"You can take Tylenol for the headache, but resting is the most important. You need to give your brain time to heal." Denise explained.

"I'll take your blood pressure again and then you'll be good to go." Rosita stated, pushing up my sleeve on my right arm.

"What happened here?" Denise asked, looking at my arm that had bruised scattered on my arm.

"These are finger prints." Rosita stated.

"I bruise easy." I replied.

"Are you lying about falling? Who grabbed you like this?" Rosita interrogated.

"Just take my blood pressure please." I ordered.

"Jessica, someone did this to you and we need to know who so we can alert Michonne or Rick." Denise explained.

"I came here for my head, not to be examined and interrogated." I stated, growing irritated.

"You're right, I'm sorry." Rosita replied, wrapping the blood pressure cuff around my arm.

"144 over 90." Rosita told Denise.

"I assume that's from the pain, but come back here this evening for us to check again." Denise ordered me.

"Thank you." I replied, standing up from the table.

I left the infirmary and slowly began walking back home. I zipped my jacket up and shivered as the morning air cut through me like a knife.

"Morning, Jessica!" Deanna chirped, approaching me on the street.

"Morning." I replied.

"What happened to your head? Are you alright?" She inquired.

"I'm not coming to the meeting this morning. I resign." I stated.

"What? Why?" She questioned, furrowing her eyebrows.

"I'll take the open recruitment position." I stated.

"Why?" She inquired.

"I don't have a reason." I replied.

"I am disappointed, but I can't say I don't blame you. I would resign as well if I knew there was someone who could take my place." She replied. "Talk to Aaron about the position and he'll get you started."

"Thanks." I muttered, walking by her.

-

I stood up from the bathtub and drained the water before wrapping a white towel around my body.