Chapter 102

-

"We have to have a dinner with the Vice President and his wife tonight." Rick informed me as I sat down by Judith for breakfast.

"We?" I asked. "I thought we were moving today."

"Me and you. And we are." He answered.

"Why?" I inquired while raising an eyebrow.

"It's a requirement for my completion of orientation." He replied while taking Judith's empty plate.

"That's dumb. Why do I have to be involved?" I questioned.

"You're my wife— everyone knows you're my wife.  Wives have to be involved for social matters. I'm not a fan of it either." He grumbled.

"And what was you going to do if I hadn't come back?" I asked.

"Tell them you were still stuck at Hilltop." He answered.

"I'm not going." I stated while taking a bite of my toast.

"What? It's the most important event here. You have to! It's fun. The food is great, there is live music, and dancing. Also plenty of liquor." Julia gushed while leaning against the counter.

"Exactly." I replied before continuing to eat my toast.

"He's going to look stupid, people will have no respect for you, and you're going to miss out on important opportunities here if you don't go." Julia explained while glancing to Rick.

"Why does not going to a social event have anything to do with respect?" I asked while furrowing my eyebrows.

"It's how our world works." She answered while shrugging her shoulders.

"No thanks." I grumbled while Rick left the kitchen.

"Come on! I can do your hair and makeup, and find you a nice dress. It'll be fun." Julia persuaded while looking at me with pleading eyes.

"No." I replied while finishing my toast.

"Ugh!" Julia groaned while slumping down in a chair.

"I'm clearly not wanted there and I'd rather scrub the floor with a toothbrush than go have dinner with a bunch of snobs." I replied while standing up from the table.

"You're a snob!" Judith yelled at Carl.

"It's not that bad, Jess! I'll be there! Come on. It'll be fun. There's booze!" Julia continued while attempting to persuade me.

"Hard pass." I replied while leaving the kitchen.

"If you don't go, He will have to have dinner with the Vice's daughter instead." Julia hissed while following me into the hall.

I froze and turned around, deciding that would not be happening.

-

I eyed the plain black dress with the long, chiffon sleeves and red heels on Rick's bed that Julia fetched for me and waited for her to beg me again.

"You can't say no to the dress. You'd look absolute banging!" Julia exclaimed while staring at her choice with pride.

"Is that what we're going for for a special dinner with 'important' people?" I asked while picking up the red stiletto.

"Newsflash, you're part of the important people now. You can wear whatever you want. Besides, it's classy with a bit of badass." She answered while beaming at the heels.

"What are you thinking for hair?" I inquired, watching as her eyes lit up.

I squinted my eyes as she squealed and ran out of the bedroom before quickly returning.