Chapter 24

-

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know I'm not going to be able to come by for dinner." I told Spencer after he opened the door.

"Oh, rain check then?" He asked.

"Uh, I'll let you know." I replied, forcing a smile.

"No worries. See you later." He replied, moving to shut the door quickly.

"Bye." I replied, quickly turning and leaving his porch. I sighed, actually feeling relieved from my decision.

As I walked down the street, I caught a glimpse of Rick speaking to Deanna in front of her home.

"Jess!" Maggie called out, running up the street to me.

"Hey." I greeted as she reached me.

"Glenn heard something that you need to hear." She blurted.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Glenn heard from Brady, who is Spencer's best friend, that they are participating in a bet to see who can get you.. first. They always make bets with the new comers here.." She explained, her words flying out of her mouth faster than I could comprehend.

"Wow." I spat, now seething from this newfound information.

"A bet? What's the reward? Monopoly money?" I asked.

I spun around and stormed down the street back to Spencer's house.

"Jess!" Maggie called after me as I climbed the steps. I turned the door knob and let myself into Spencer's home, finding him walking out of the living room.

"Who the fuck made the bet about me?" I asked, storming over to him.

"What?" He asked.

"You know what!" I yelled.

"Brady! It wasn't me. I'm not participating in that shit. I was going to tell you tonight—"

"Where is Brady?" I asked.

"Woah, what's going on?" A tall, tanned man asked from the stairs.

"Are you Brady?" I asked.

"Yeah.." He trailed off as he stepped off the stairs. I stormed over to him and threw my fist into his jaw, watching as he nearly toppled back onto the steps.

"Hey!" Spencer yelled.

"I don't know who any of you think I am, but I'm not some cum rag for your preadolescent penises that you got cursed with." I spat, looking to Brady and then to Spencer.

"Hey, I didn't—"

I slammed the door behind me and found Maggie running up the street to me.

"What did you do?" She hissed, grabbing my arm and pulling me behind her.

"Something Brady needed." I replied, looking down at my fist.

"You need to see Pete." She stated, her eyes widening as she looked at my fist.

"I'm fine." I replied, watching as blood dripped from my knuckles.

"No. You're going to Pete." She ordered as we approached Deanna and Rick on the street.

"Hey, what happened?" Rick asked, his eyes on my bloody hand.

"She confronted Spencer and Brady about the bet Brady created." Maggie explained.

"What bet?" Rick asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"A bet?" Deanna inquired.

"Come with us." Maggie ordered.