Chapter 49

-

"Great time to be sick, huh?" I asked Denise as I relaxed onto my couch.

"I didn't think it was very wise of you to go anyway, considering you still have a hole inside of you." Denise replied, giving me a stern look.

"I'm letting everyone down." I stated.

"No, you're sicker than a damn dog, Jess. Think about yourself for once." She replied, taking the thermometer from my mouth.

"It hit me out of nowhere." I muttered, pulling a blanket over me.

"No fever." She mumbled, furrowing her eyebrows.

"So.. do you think it's infection?" I inquired.

"Are you having any pain around the site? It doesn't look inflamed.." She mumbled.

"No. Just nauseous, throwing up, and I'm exhausted. I can't lift my head off the damn couch." I answered, placing a hand on my forehead.

"Um, I need to go get a few things. I'll be back." Denise muttered, standing up and nearly running out of my house.

Please, no more infection.

I looked to my left, watching as Rick walked into the living room.

"I'm sorry I'm not able to go. If I get to feeling better I'll be there." I rambled, attempting to sit up.

"Don't. I'd rather you be here anyway." He replied.

"Please be careful today." I mumbled, looking into his eyes.

"I will." He replied, his eyes soft as they looked back into mine while he approached me.

"Don't get too close. I may be contagious." I ordered, even though I wanted nothing more than to feel his touch.

"I'm sorry for the things I said, the things I did..." I sighed, looking up at him.

"I'm sorry, too." He sighed, sitting down by my legs.

"Are we okay now?" I asked, placing my hand over his.

"You were right last night. We have to work together... on everything, everyday." He replied.

I noticed the uncertainty in his eyes and wondered if maybe he was unsure of how today was going to go and that's why he was making amends with me.

"Promise you'll make it back." I ordered, looking deep into his eyes.

"I'll do my best." He stated.

"Promise me." I demanded, sitting up on the couch.

"I promise... that I'll try my best." He replied, a small smirk on his lips.

"I love you." I replied, placing my hand on his chest.

"I love you. Get some rest, get better and I'll be back before you know it." He ordered.

"Then we can make up." I whispered, smirking as he moved his hand to my hair.

"Yeah, we can do that." He confirmed, smiling as he leaned forward. I smiled, feeling his lips press against mine before he pulled away and stood up.